Brisket and your Rub (For the Funky Only)

This thread is making me sweat from the forehead. That's an ugly thought! Back to my room now.

Dear Barbarian

I am sorry. You have a valid point about me using the word brains... didn't mean to insult. That's why I use the word Funky... people generally are okay with not being funky. Some people try to be funky. Oh hell... I am sorry. That's all. Your okay. From the look of your avatar I take it you don't need any help with brisket. Looks good man.

I am ashamed in that the Funk was soposed to be a power of inclusiveness to anyone who was willing to get down and I have used it as a power to exclude.. which is not funky.

Time Out : Guys... This is a great thread (in a very unique, funky kinda way)... let's not kill it's value with negativity

If it's not your thing, move on to other threads... otherwise we might need to call Popdaddy on the bagphone. :biggrin:

OK... Funk.. please continue.

YEAH.. What vinny said. !!! This thread made me go out today and get a brisket to try with just S&P.. and maybe the butt glitter. Also, while cooking today for the family, I also found myself thing about some points made and considering changes in some of my techniques based on layering, which I used to do, and then stopped.

it is an excellent thread that reminded me to NOT get stuck in myt ways.. Since i started competing 5 years ago, i have been so stuck on perfecting the one way I do things that i have forgotten to think outside of the box. Thats how I see this thread. As a reminder that there is NO ONE WAY...

anyway.. lets just take a breath.. appreciate things for what they are, while understanding/accepting/ignoring the 'uniquenesss'(a.k.a funk) thats is running around in this thread..

Can someone point me to the ingriedent tranlslator that was posted a while back regarding James Brown and Charlie Brown, sleeping with James Dean or Paula Dean. I gotta make some butt glitter.

did I really just say all that? WTF?

Hmmm....very interesting thread here. great read.

Although I'm a big George Clinton fan (but I wish he hadn't gone on that "gone country" show), I don't consider myself funky. I'm more of a headbanger type. But I will say that most of the briskets I do for me and my family are nothing but S&P briskets, and I never wrap (I don't believe in wrapping big cuts unless I'm holding....but then it's off the heat). Most of the briskets I do for others, I use Montreal steak seasoning. And I never inject. I want to taste the beef.

Sometimes people try to get to fancy. It's just a big hunk of meat ya know.

Can someone point me to the ingriedent tranlslator that was posted a while back regarding James Brown and Charlie Brown, sleeping with James Dean or Paula Dean. I gotta make some butt glitter.

The easiest place to find it is to just click on Donnie's user name and view public profile. It's all right there. It's also back close to the beginning of this thread.

A moment about rubs that you work hard on and stuff. The point of the thri-layer rub was that I loved my rub (butt glitter). The story behind that was I kept dialing down the slat for two reasons. First because I was naturally reducing the salt ratio by adding other things, Paprika, Celery Seed, Cumin and Chili Powder, Oinion Powder and stuff.... the SECOND was I wanted to start CROSS-UTILIZING the rub on other stuff... so naturally the salt gets dialed down. I was doing it becuase I had catering jobs and needed ONE rub for everything from the spice in my pickled Onions, which went in my potato salad and collard and a table rub (which needed less salt) and on Ribs and shoulder and my armadillo eggs and fatties. Each one of those needs different levels of salt and sugar.

So in regards to your rub that YOU worked your ass off to get... if your trying to get that FLAVOR of your rub into your meat... the secret is salt. salt is the transporter. I thitnk injections are cool, and arguably you may not be able to get the same level of flavor INTO the meat with rub alone (but thats what our fore-fathers tried to do from Kreuz Market to Walter Jetton (simmered the flavor in before pitting the meat). BUT... we all know that rub, pepper, whatever your signature is, smoke, dried meat blood and juices, fat, fat smoke all being pulled into the center of the meat is a different FLAVOR althogether than what you mix in a bowl and inject from the center outward and around.

Hmmm.... Illegal as hell... but that makes me think.... what would your----

SOUR DOUGH (That's Dough) BRISKET INJECTION CONTENT DELETED VIA BAG PHONE BY POPDADDY DUE TO IT BEING TOO FUNKY....

THIS MAY BE RELEASED AT ANOTHER TIME IN OUR NEXT SEGMENT...

Pitmaster "T" dry plateau Injection

Last edited by a moderator:
Donnie, thanks for the reply. I just had trouble thinking that you were trying to exclude people that like/love Q. It seemed odd. By the way Bentley is right my avatar is a butt and I could always use help on brisket, lol.

So I am sorry we got off on the wrong foot and I say let's just drink a virtual beer and start all over.

I really do want to try the Hit Me Fred sauce and gotta figure out what a coffee cup measure is. I am sorry you cannot do a little conversion with tablespoons due to your losing your CCM.

Actually I think I will just drink a bit of Makers Mark with two cubes instead of the beer.

SOUR DOUGH (That's Dough) BRISKET INJECTION CONTENT DELETED VIA BAG PHONE BY POPDADDY DUE TO IT BEING TOO FUNKY....
Too late. I heard you laying that one down brother! I had that funk running through my head before, but it took you to arrange it properly. I'll keep it quiet though.

Funk on. I don't speak funk, or jive, but I did see Airplane. I can speak that kinda jive.

Time Out : Guys... This is a great thread (in a very unique, funky kinda way)... let's not kill it's value with negativity

If it's not your thing, move on to other threads... otherwise we might need to call Popdaddy on the bagphone. :biggrin:

OK... Funk.. please continue.

YEAH.. What vinny said. !!! This thread made me go out today and get a brisket to try with just S&P.. and maybe the butt glitter. Also, while cooking today for the family, I also found myself thing about some points made and considering changes in some of my techniques based on layering, which I used to do, and then stopped.

it is an excellent thread that reminded me to NOT get stuck in myt ways.. Since i started competing 5 years ago, i have been so stuck on perfecting the one way I do things that i have forgotten to think outside of the box. Thats how I see this thread. As a reminder that there is NO ONE WAY...

anyway.. lets just take a breath.. appreciate things for what they are, while understanding/accepting/ignoring the 'uniquenesss'(a.k.a funk) thats is running around in this thread..

did I really just say all that? WTF?

Ditto...:p

Oh MY CCM was 2 T

Donnie, thanks for the reply. I just had trouble thinking that you were trying to exclude people that like/love Q. It seemed odd. By the way Bentley is right my avatar is a butt and I could always use help on brisket, lol.

So I am sorry we got off on the wrong foot and I say let's just drink a virtual beer and start all over.

I really do want to try the Hit Me Fred sauce and gotta figure out what a coffee cup measure is. I am sorry you cannot do a little conversion with tablespoons due to your losing your CCM.

Actually I think I will just drink a bit of Makers Mark with two cubes instead of the beer.

what a great flick! you know i have an original vincent price self portrait on the wall, right :cool:

Back