Need help with Prime Rib Loin?

C

CritterCrusher

I have to cook a prime rib loin over mesquite in an off-set smoker. I really don't want to mess up a $100 piece of meat. I would really appreciate your expert opinions. Thank you.

Here is a thread when I did my 1st one!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46908

I would also suggest that if you plan on spending a lot of money on nice cuts of meat, become a subscriber and you will find every answer to most any question you may have right here using the search feature. The cost is very reasonable compared to the cost of ruining a good piece of meat. Top of page click Purchase a subscription. If not now when ever you feel the knowledge you gain is worth it!

Regardless you will be always welcome here!

Personally, I like to cook prime rib at an extremely high temperature for very little time to get rare. Therefore I say stoke it up as high as possible. I might say to use the smoker to add some smoke and finish it in the oven at 500 degrees. This will give you a nice crust while leaving the meat mainly pink to red.

Why are you forced to use the offset?

Here is a thread when I did my 1st one!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46908

I would also suggest that if you plan on spending a lot of money on nice cuts of meat, become a subscriber and you will find every answer to most any question you may have right here using the search feature. The cost is very reasonable compared to the cost of ruining a good piece of meat. Top of page click Purchase a subscription. If not now when ever you feel the knowledge you gain is worth it!

Regardless you will be always welcome here!

Thanks and I will look into subscribing.

Personally, I like to cook prime rib at an extremely high temperature for very little time to get rare. Therefore I say stoke it up as high as possible. I might say to use the smoker to add some smoke and finish it in the oven at 500 degrees. This will give you a nice crust while leaving the meat mainly pink to red.

Why are you forced to use the offset?

That is all I have but I can get it up to 500 degrees so it shouldn't be a problem.

I am just trying to find more of times and temps along with internal temps. I was thinking and tell me if I am wrong, I was going to cook at 250-300 for 2-4 1/2 hrs and internal temp of 120-130, take off, wrap in foil and let stand for 15-30 minutes.

Thanks again to everyone.

Why mesquite? Mesquite tends to be a bit storng (IMHO) for Prime Rib. Pecan, Oak or Hickory are my favorites, but to each his own...

Mesquite is my brother-in-laws favorite, we are doing this for him and the rest of my family. My wife hates oak when she is pregnant and I don't have access to pecan unless I order, no time for that now.

Back