Oklahoma Joe's BBQ Sauce

Cliff H.

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Someone from work gave me a gallon jug of Oklahoma Joe's bbq sauce. It does not have the same markings on it like the only two that I find on thier website. It must be the commercial supplier version.

I know it was cheap. Six bucks per gallon and it has liquid smoke as one of the ingredients. I have not even opened the bottle. Does anyone know what to cut it with or add to it to make it presentable ?

I absolutely love the sauce. I have one bottle left. It doesnt have liquid smoke on it..

taste it..

Does it say Oklahoma Joes, or does it say Cowtown, or Night of the living dead? I saw a gallon of Oklahoma Joes sauce at the KC barbecue store, but haven't tried it. What they serve and sell at OK joes is Cowtown and Night of the living. Now I have seen Horizon sauces and those could be the old Oklahoma Joes sauce? Don't know.
Here is what the ones that I have look like.
6ct4lg.jpg

6ct5lg.jpg

That is what is strange. This has none of the markings of the two pictured.

The ingredient list includes smoke flavor. This was purchased in Oklahoma at a place called Allen's.

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

^^ Thats the old label. I used to be able to get it around here in Big Lots but they stopped carrying it years ago. I bought mine online.

009-2.jpg

OJingrediants.jpg

Also there is a more ingredients listed in yours than mine.

Sometime an institutal grade will have a different mark or a different indgrient in it for restrauant use like liguid smoke

Oh, Its the same label, just made it closer for easy read.

I don't see msg in the lineup with the old lable. Sorry for the blurry pic. I don't know how to get a clear close shot.

Cliff, I'm pretty sure the bottle you have is not related to the the Oklahoma Joes restaurant in Kansas City. The pics jaberwabee posted are of the Cowtown sauces produced by the restaurant. The ingredient list is totally different.

The Cowtown sauce ingredient list is: Ketchup,Brown Sugar, Water, White Vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, Spices, Ground Mustard, Liquid Smoke, Black Pepper, Garlic, Onion, Cayenne.

I have never actually seen the bottle that you have before, but my guess would be that it is related more to the company that builds the Oklahoma Joe's Smoker. I have always wondered why Oklahoma Joe's decided to name their sauce Cowtown....It could be that your sauce was already in production, so OK Joe's had to come up with something else...I guess that is a pitfall to naming your restaurant after your pit!

As to your original question, I would open it up and taste it first...that should go along way toward telling you what needs to be added/adjusted if anything.

If you go to olkahoma joes in olathe kansas and go inside their KC BBQ Store, not only you will find 100's of sauces, and even more rubs, and a whole collection of smokers, toys, ect. (I love that store) you can buy the cowtown stuff, or if you look down you can get, a big jug of the sauce used in the restruant side. I was told by someone else that there is a difference in the sauces. I not sure if a someone of the street can buy it or not,,

What you have is an old jug of sauce. The OK Joes name/label has had a few different lives over the years. If it's still good you probably don't really need to do anything to it. That's the sauce that won "Best Sauce on the Planet" a couple times. There really was an OK Joe before he sold to Brinkman and he was a huge player in the early days of KCBS. He's still around, just not as involved.

Back