Catering Question

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a catering job coming up at the end of June. They want Porkloin and Chicken. How much of each would be enough? I'm esimating around 60 chicken pieces and 40lbs of loins or is that too much?

Thanks for all your input.

Yeah, how many people??:mrgreen:

I'd figure 5oz of loin per peron - shrinkage isn't as bad with pork loin as with butts (about 40% has been my experience). The chicken is a bit problematical...I've done a couple of jobs where the request was white meat only...others wanted mixed quarters (I always go about 60-40 or 70-30 white meat to dark - people just love that white meat!)...

I use a great planner that many others use as well...you can download at the Arizona bbq assoc. website. I've found it very helpful.
Also ,are all 100 people men, women, how many children, how many sides, is this lunch or dinner......all these questions will change your formula....if you don't know....I would just plan on 1/4 lb. or slightly more of the loin per person and one peice of chicken . I would only plan on about 25-35% loss on the loin its really lean. ( I know some loins can shrink much less but better safe than sorry) .
Let us know how it goes will ya!

Last weekend I had 30 lbs. of pulled pork and a case of leg quarters to serve 100 people. Way too much food, but it was cheap.

Case of leg quarters cost me around $26. I don't know how many pieces that was, but it was about two pans full. 30 lbs. of pulled pork was two full pans, also.

If it was me, without some planner in hand, I'd figure 25 lbs. of pork and a case of chicken quarters. I figure 1/3 lb per person at an average. I know that the pork is going to feed 75 people right there. Since many will get both meats, you're pork will probably feed more like 125.

Last weekend I had 30 lbs. of pulled pork and a case of leg quarters to serve 100 people. Way too much food, but it was cheap.

Case of leg quarters cost me around $26. I don't know how many pieces that was, but it was about two pans full. 30 lbs. of pulled pork was two full pans, also.

If it was me, without some planner in hand, I'd figure 25 lbs. of pork and a case of chicken quarters. I figure 1/3 lb per person at an average. I know that the pork is going to feed 75 people right there. Since many will get both meats, you're pork will probably feed more like 125.
eice
I ussually get around 40 or more individual peices (legs and thighs) per full pan. that would probably be just about right

If you do a case of hind quarters it it aprox 60 quarters and 30 to 35 pounds of pork loin would do the job.

You can break the quarters down to 120 piesces if you wish to sperate them.

Jim

Back