• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sauce Opinions

SloppyQ

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a cook scheduled for this Saturday for 100 people. Will be putting my own sauce out on the table for those who choose to use it. Question is, should I put out another brand and if so what should it be? I know a lot of people like Masterpiece but I have mixed opinions. Help!!! :?:

SloppyQ said:
I have a cook scheduled for this Saturday for 100 people. Will be putting my own sauce out on the table for those who choose to use it. Question is, should I put out another brand and if so what should it be? I know a lot of people like Masterpiece but I have mixed opinions. Help!!! :?:

I always have a bottle of Masterpiece handy for those who prefer it . . .
and a bottle of Arthur Bryant's just for one more version.

Take KcMasterpiece and add Chalula hot sauce to taste. Everyone around here likes it.

SloppyQ said:

Yes at least two kinds.

Heheee. Mixed is the key here. I thin Masterpiece with apple juice then add some cider vinegar, wooster, cayenne and black pepper then simmer until all the flavors blend. I will also make a NC vinegar sauce if there is chopped or pulled pork on the menu.

Have JPW, Mista or Spice fedex you!

BTW: I do expect a commission guys (25%):biggrin:

Try this:
Combine-
1 cup of ketchup
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 cup of Soy

Fine chop 3 cloves of garlic, and 2 Tbls of ginger, and mix together over LOW heat for 5-10 minutes. Let cool.

My inlaws are Hawaiians and they put this on everything: bbq chicken, ribs, spam musubi, porkchops.

sauce

I like to use sauces other than Masterpiece. I try to broaden peoples taste a bit. Here in KC you can get all different types at sauces at the local grocery. I will usually put my sauce out plus something I like off of the shelf.
Eric

It seems like you usually have two types of people, those that like it sweet, and those that like it sweet and spicy. I have taken the basic sauce, made two batches, and made one slightly spicy. Then I tell people, or label the bottles regular and spicy.

thirdeye said:
I will also make a NC vinegar sauce if there is chopped or pulled pork on the menu.
thirdeye what do you use to make your vinegar sauce, if you don't mind me asking?

Sauce or no sauce?

I personally prefer meat w/out sauce so I can taste the meat in all of its goodness. I'm not saying I don't use sauce, but in moderation it could add that final touch you're looking for.

Too much sauce for me just masks all the goodness I worked so hard to achieve.

It just bugs me when I see someone pour gallons sauce on meat with with out even tasting it first.

But hey, that's me.

Wicked_Too said:
thirdeye what do you use to make your vinegar sauce, if you don't mind me asking?

The Eastern North Carolina mother sauce is equal parts water & vinegar plus salt, cayenne and black pepper only. Some folks find this a bit tart.

My version is:

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
3 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon wooster

I use this pork sauce for basting and finishing or mopping and sopping however you want to call it.

Hands down !!! Call Jay (Spicewine) and get some of his sauces. Each one is distinctive, complex and interesting tastes, something people will take note of. I keep trying other shelf sauces, some mail order, and these are great! I'm really partial to Smokin Cracker and Blue Collar but they are all good.

Tom B

thirdeye said:
The Eastern North Carolina mother sauce is equal parts water & vinegar plus salt, cayenne and black pepper only. Some folks find this a bit tart.

My version is:

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
3 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon wooster

I use this pork sauce for basting and finishing or mopping and sopping however you want to call it.

Thanks thirdeye

Thanks for your opinions, I will use mine plus another but haven't decided on the second one yet.

Sweet Heat--- 12th Best in the world American Royal 2006 out of 163

Blue Collar---- 23rd Best in the World American Royal 2006

Gourmet Glaze --53rd best in the World American royal 2006

Call me !!

Spice

Back