Corned Beef??????????

Of course... Coat it with pepper and a little garlic powder and smoke it and you then have pastrami.. I add other spices as well for my own individual tastes.

Yep, cook like a brisket, adjust the time, foil and rest, slice and serve.

Or do the pastrami thing, steam, let cool, slice thin and indulge for lunch all week

Tastes great, I don't do it often enough

Some folks soak the corned beef in cold tap water for 24 hours. This removes some of the salt from the meat.
I usually change the water 3 times in that period. Still tastes fine to me.

Make pastrami .

I cook to IT of 150 then wrap in foil with beef broth and take to IT of 190.

Perfect I think.

Fantastic pastrami. Soak it in cold water for an hour, pat dry, coat with cracked pepper, smoke with hickory to 165 and then foil it with a little broth for steam and take it to 185 or so.

I took my last one to probe tender no wrapping and it was great.

^^^^^ Will try my next one without foil.

The corned beef is just way too salty if you aren't going to boil it. You really need to get that salt out if you are going to smoke it. I go 48 hours in water in the fridge and I change it several times. I am very happy with my Pastramis. I smoke at 250-275 until 160 or so IT. foil and cook till probe tender or about 190+ IT

I've done a few of them and it might almost be our favorite thing to smoke. The last one I just rinsed off in the sink and tossed on the smoker. And it was fantastic.

Just cooked like brisket, no foil or paper or anything. Just cooked until probe tender! :twisted:

Be Careful if you use store bought rubs or spice mixes, they usually have a lot of salt in them...putting them on an already salt laden corned beef flat will pretty well ruin it...dont ask how I know :oops:

If you can, ALWAYS get the points, not the flats, when selecting your corned beef. The points are vastly superior, IMHO.

How long does it usually take to get to pastrami?? (assuming the size corned beef briskets you find in the grocery store?) Does the pastrami freeze okay??

What would be the preferred wood to use, Hickory or Apple?

For store bought corned briskets or round roasts I do a 24 hour soak-out, and then season and rest in the fridge overnight. I smoke it to around 150°, then do a 30 minute pressure finish on it with natural release.

zIZEElc.jpg

AyyeCmu.jpg

Back