View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've found that smoking components used in a sauce (like spices, peppers and onions already mentioned above) will give a sauce a more subtle smoky back-flavor than putting a container of sauce in my pit, or adding liquid smoke to an existing sauce.... it seems that the last two options give the entire sauce a smoky flavor, not a hint of smoky flavor to a sauce that has other flavors in it that I want to taste.

That said, it's possible to attack the solution from another angle. Try adding some liquid smoke to ketchup. Or try putting a pan with ketchup on the pit to soak up smoke. Either way you now have a single component that has a smokey flavor.... the ketchup, and trust me ketchup takes smoke well (both natural and liquid) Then, when building your sauce, use the smokey ketchup to add a hint of smoke flavor. You will still be able to distinguish onion, garlic or fruity flavors within the sauce, but will get a light smokey back flavor.

Plus the smokey ketchup is great by itself on fries or onion rings.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->