Stoker DC power from USB cable?

markrvp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I need to be able to power a Stoker and 5cfm fan from a battery for a max of 12-14 hours. The battery must be portable to go to a campsite where a car can't be parked.

The Stoker runs off 5v DC. The power supply is a wall wart that converts 120v AC to 5v DC. It appears that the 12v DC adapter that Rocks sells for the Stoker is actually a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter and you just plug the wall wart into. That seems like an inefficient way to provide 5v of DC.

I would like to use a 12v battery like you would get at Tractor Supply to power a deer feeder.

I've got a 12v cigarette lighter jack soldered into spade plugs that slip onto the + and - terminals of the battery.

Soooo... it seems to me that a USB cable plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter would convert the 12v battery to 5v like what the Stoker needs.
ful1_f8z445.jpg

I was thinking I could cut one end off of the USB cable and solder on a plug that would go into the back of the Stoker.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone have another solution for providing a power cable to a Stoker that can be used with a 12v battery? Or, has anyone used the 12v to 120v AC inverter with a battery like I described? I just need the ability to run a Stoker and 5cfm fan from a battery for 12-14 hours.

what is the amp rating on both?

I dont think the usb adapter would supply the amps that the stoker fan needs to run

but I could be wrong

Get a jumpstarter with a 12V (cigarette lighter) plug
Get something like this
41YffRMO51L.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/12V-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Adapter/dp/B005HWTGQU"]12V Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Wire in the device mentioned above and put the appropriate plug on it.

Or just get the jump starter and one of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cigarette%20inverter&sprefix=cigarette+inv%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acigarette%20inverter]these[/ame] and be done with it.

Back