• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM Temperature Spike in the Sun

Granny's Gang Barbeque

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
How we doing everybody?
Had a misfortune befall me on my past two competition cooks. Same situation both times. Competition grounds laid out in a field, no shade to hide in. Both comps featured an overnight cook. During the evening hours the cooker did great, held 260 consistently. Night time temps about 50 degrees, each time. Cooker doing great. Then the sun comes up. Daytime temps about 80 degrees. My WSM gets blasted with direct sunlight. Cooker temps goes from 260 to about 310 in about 45 minutes. The WSM thermometer and the BBQ Guru confirmed this. My heart sank. I wasn't going to ribs on at 310 degrees. I took off the guru, put in the kill plug and waited for the temp to come down. An hour later I was at 285, and was forced to put the ribs on.
My question: Has anyone else experienced this and what do they do for a remedy?

Thanks

I start adjusting the temp down before the sun hits it and up when it gets off of it. That said, I know when the sun is going to hit it since my WSM is always in the same place. I do have a contraption I use for bad weather that may work well for your situation.

I took a 4ft tall folding dog cage (for letting dogs out in the yard.)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H904WS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Midwest Black E-Coat Exercise Pen, 24 Inches by 48 Inches: Pet Supplies[/ame] (seems like it is was 8 panels and I took off 2)

I then covered each panel with reflectix (and ductape on the seams)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPAULS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Reflectix BP48010 48-Inch by 10-Feet Bubble Pack Insulation - Amazon.com[/ame]

This cage goes around my WSM to block wind and insulate. I lay a small piece of 1/4in plywood over the top. That blocks rain, snow and sun from the top and still gives it room to breath.

This folds up and is portable, so it may be useful to your situation.

Last edited:
I thought all you comp guys had them insta shade canopies???!!!!

And I think I'd open the lil door and sprayed fire with spray bottle to bring temp down.........:shock:

Learn to cook where your pit likes to run if it wants to run at 300 so be it. If your competing in beauty pageants you supposed to be a pit master so ..... Handle it pit master.

My question: Has anyone else experienced this and what do they do for a remedy?

Thanks

I had the same thing happen to me on Sunday. I should have moved the WSM to the middle of my EZ-up. Once the sun moved to where it could hit the WSM, the temps ran away from my iQue 110. It got up over 300 in a hurry.

When I am setting my WSM up, I've noticed that the sun can heat the black metal enough that I have to use gloves to put the sections together. That's just the Texas sun -- no fire.

I figure the fire gets burning just right to maintain a steady temperature in the shade, then the sun hits the WSM, and the fire is now hotter than it needs to be for the conditions, and needs to be choked down.

I plan to make sure my WSM is in the shade all day, next cook. If you can't do that, just anticipate that you will have to choke down on your fire as the sun starts to hit the WSM. If you know it is going to happen, you can probably stay ahead of it.

CD

Last edited:
If my wsm/guru combo runs away from me like that I'll use wet towels to get it under control quickly. I'll start at the dome and then do the middle. Nothing warped or got out of round. Just have to be careful of the steam when you handle the hot towels. If you can do this when temp's first start climbing, so much the better.
I have thought about wrapping it in tin foil as an experiment for daylight conditions, but never got around to it.

The sun, like the wind is just a condition you have to plan for in setting things up.

One advantage to where I have my grill area set up is heavily shaded by trees...I get 2-3 hours of morning sun and that's about it.

I've had it spike too. One quick remedy that isn't the best option is to pour a little water over a small portion of the coals. Just be careful not to get crazy or you could drop too much. And it can stir up some dust so not the best option if there is food on the smoker at the time :razz:

I've had it spike too. One quick remedy that isn't the best option is to pour a little water over a small portion of the coals. Just be careful not to get crazy or you could drop too much. And it can stir up some dust so not the best option if there is food on the smoker at the time :razz:

I used a spray bottle with water to cool the fire. But, the WSM was still in the sun, so it eased back up again after a while, until the shade moved back over the cooker.

CD

I've watched the sun come out from behind a cloud and noticed a 10*F rise fairly quickly on my Maverick ET-732. I don't know if you were using water in the pan but with your low and high temps, I would. Then it's just a simple matter of dialing back the vents.

Back