• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First smoke suggestions?

Ruger410

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey yall I am waitin on my smoker to come in I ordered a maverick 55 gallon drum smoker.(yeah I know I could of built one lol) and a maverick thermometer I think it was a Et-732. Just looking for basic tips and tricks, I think I will be doing a pork butt my first time(my girlfriend loves pulled pork) . I assume the meat goes fat down? Also charcoal method I assume I will just fill the fire box all the way up and start with the minion method. Also should I season my new drum or burn it out?

Any woman who loves to pull pork is a goodun I cook FC up on Butts. Keep your temp 275 -325 Minion method to light it up. Brush a light coat of lard on the inside and run the temp up to 350 fro 1 hr and drop on the Butt.

Any woman who loves to pull pork is a goodun I cook FC up on Butts. Keep your temp 275 -325 Minion method to light it up. Brush a light coat of lard on the inside and run the temp up to 350 fro 1 hr and drop on the Butt.

I thought smoking temps were in between 225-250?

No burnout cuz it's new - designed to cook in - spray it inside with cooking oil and run it for hr or two around 300* - 350* then damper it a little try get temps down around 250* - for cook - let it settle I where it wants to - if it seems to level out at 275* then cook at 275* if it likes 240* cook at 240* etc within reason - it'll probally take a few cooks to get hang of it.
You can smoke anywhere between 225* - 325* depends on ur and your pits cooking style. Some say 275* is perfect for meats.

I cook 250* - 275* - 300* depending on which smoker I'm using. I like running Butts/ Picnics 250-275* in my UDS. I trim most if not all of Fat off butts/picnics cuz I like more bark. I use McCormick Apple Wood Rub on Pork - I get it at Walmart and HEB. Some ppl inject some dont - I inject Apple Juice with some of the rub mixed in.

I'm Definately interested in your opinion of it after a few cooks.

No burnout cuz it's new - designed to cook in - spray it inside with cooking oil and run it for hr or two around 300* - 350* then damper it a little try get temps down around 250* - for cook - let it settle I where it wants to - if it seems to level out at 275* then cook at 275* if it likes 240* cook at 240* etc within reason - it'll probally take a few cooks to get hang of it.
You can smoke anywhere between 225* - 325* depends on ur and your pits cooking style. Some say 275* is perfect for meats.

I cook 250* - 275* - 300* depending on which smoker I'm using. I like running Butts/ Picnics 250-275* in my UDS.

I'm Definately interested in your opinion of it after a few cooks.

Thanks I will Definitely kepp yall posted. So basically you have to find out what your pit likes to level out at. I am brand new to charcoal. Also is the bbqguru worth the money?

I don't have a Guru but I want one. You may or may not have to tweak or gasket the door on that Maverick barrel- if u have temp problems or variances it may be letting air in. Just have to see - it'll take a few cooks to Learn your pit. To me it's a cross between an UDS and a WSM - read threads and watch YouTube videos on both.

I don't have a Guru but I want one. You may or may not have to tweak or gasket the door on that Maverick barrel- if u have temp problems or variances it may be letting air in. Just have to see - it'll take a few cooks to Learn your pit. To me it's a cross between an UDS and a WSM - read threads and watch YouTube videos on both.

I've tried to find some vids on the maverick smoker I can't find any

There are none and everyone on here will tell to build an UDS- you are the guinea pig !
That's y I'm interested in your opinion on it after a few cooks LOL.

So study up on UDS and WSM- blend the two - do ya 5-6 cooks and post them and then let me know if I should order one or not. :biggrin1:

Oh and Pork Shoulder- Butts or Picnics are probally easiest/best thing to learn on- even when the cooks not great they r still pretty good pulled - usually. :wink:

There are none and everyone on here will tell to build an UDS- you are the guinea pig !
That's y I'm interested in your opinion on it after a few cooks LOL.

So study up on UDS and WSM- blend the two - do ya 5-6 cooks and post them and then let me know if I should order one or not. :biggrin1:

Lol for some reason that doesnt make me feel to good

I would do a quick burn in, with some Pam or lard, either one works, just to get a coating of fat on the cooker. Then run the cooker anywhere from 250F to 300F, wherever it settles down. I like to cook fat cap down, but, that is a choice thing. I do trim the cap to between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.

I would love a Guru or similar, but, don't have the money. Old fashioned is a good way to learn

I found it with a lill googlephoo. I won't comment on how much more it is than 3 UDS builds. I just hope the door seals well or your gonna have problems holdin temps since you want to cook at painfully ow temps.

I found it with a lill googlephoo. I won't comment on how much more it is than 3 UDS builds. I just hope the door seals well or your gonna have problems holdin temps since you want to cook at painfully ow temps.

I just don't have time to build the UDS. I had a couple nice forum members on here offer to build/sell me one they just live a little farther than I travel at the moment.

NOT.
they are $249 shipping included- cheaper than UDS sell for. UDs run $300-$400 if u buy instead of build one.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/maverick-competition-smoker/compeition-smokers

And he's new and learning and I bet he will cook/smoke where the smoker wants to - if door leaks a lil Food Grade Red Silicone will cure it. :wink:

There isn't anything wrong with buying that cooker, over making a UDS.

That door is going to be a potential issue, if it becomes one, a quick fix, is to wrap the door with a few layers of aluminum foil, that will seal things up a bit. Same is possible for the bottom joint between the barrel section and the bottom plate, drip a little oil into that and it will seal enough.

A good compromise to the Guru is the Auberin PID controller from Auberin Instruments. I have been using one for two years and it works fine, especially on my UDS. I only use it when I want to do a cook overnight or if I have to leave the house for a period of time during the cook.

The setup for your UDS is on sale now for $146.00.

Here is the link if you're interested.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=205

I guess I will know if the door leaks if I can't hold a
Steady temp. Do people have issues with the door leaking on a WSM?

Sometimes - Easy fix tho - red food grade silicone around lip. Wax paper over close door and let it dry, peel off wax paper - sometimes gotta put a better latch to hold tighter.

Back