Temp probe placement - Lesson learned

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I fire up the UDS last night for a 2nd trial of my new iQue 120. The first time around, I clipped the pit probe directly to my grate. Worked like a champ.

I did the same thing yesterday and learned the error of my ways. The pit came to temp as it should, but as soon as I set my salmon down the probe temp dropped sharply. I waited a couple minutes and realized it was now getting a false reading off of the meat instead of the pit. The fan was blowing the whole time, so I realized I needed to correct it and fast. I quickly took a bamboo skewer and clipped the probe to it and stuck the skewer into the salmon. My probe reading was much lower than what I knew the temp at the grate to be. I gave it a few more minutes, but from my pit thermometer, I could see that the temps had gone over 300 degrees.

Salmon came out fine, but I was frustrated. I think from now on, I will clip the temp probe to my analog pit probe and just account for the 50 degree difference between that and the center of the grate.

Any thoughts/advice? Thank you!

I tend to clip my probe to the side of where my meat will be placed.

The best plan that i came up with is putting a wooden skewer in whatever im cooking and clip the probe to that

i'm confused by this. Did you lay the salmon directly on the probe or wire? I clip mine to the great within a couple inches of the meat and i've never had a problem, even a full egg of cold pork shoulders, probe clipped to the edge of the cooking grate, never had a problem.

I also clip mine directly to the grate over my water pan WSM about 2-3" away from the meat.

I clip my Maverick probe to the grate and then clip the IQ probe to that. Just keep the meat a couple inches away from the probes.

I'm a big fan of putting my hand by the exhaust to see how hot it is. Therms can be great but it's always good to just check it out with the hand, as therms can lead ya wrong sometimes.

Back