Cooking for 100

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been on the sidelines for a while, but I'm back and have a question.

I have been asked to cook for a HS graduation party of approx. 100 people. It's not a sit down dinner, more of a buffet style thing, for mostly teenagers and some of their parents. I've been asked to cook pulled pork, ribs and chicken wings. I've never cooked for this large a crowd before and have been trying to work through how much meat to buy.

Boneless pork butts up this way (NH) generally run about 6-8 pounds. ANd the family that is hosting this wants to do St. Louis style ribs instead of baby backs primarily because of the cost difference.

So here is what I'm thinking:

6 pork butts is going to be betwen 36 and 48 pounds precooked, or about 1/3 pound per person.

A case of wings is 40 pounds, and there are roughly 8 wings per pound. So that's just over 300 wings or 3 per person

I'm told the St. Louis wings have roughly 13 ribs per slab. For everyone to be able to have a couple of ribs, I'm looking at 15 or 16 slabs.

Do these portions sound OK?

I'm planning on doing the wings the day before the party. They'll reheat nicely on cookie sheets in the oven.

It should be fun - and a great challenge because I've never cooked for this many people before. ANd fortunately, I don't have to worry about side dishes. Other people are taking care of that.

Thanks

Scott

Your portions sound right on to me, although I would do closer to the 48 lbs of pork butt- Teenagers can eat alot! This should give you 1 sandwich per person. If you want more than that you will need to increase your amounts.

Here is a formula I use for Butts:

40lbs raw butts = 20lbs. Cooked butts = 60 Pork Sammie’s (5oz.)

I would humbily suggest 50lbs. of ribs. Will not look good if you run out of grub!

big brother smoke said:

Here is a formula I use for Butts:

40lbs raw butts = 20lbs. Cooked butts = 60 Pork Sammie’s (5oz.)

I would humbily suggest 50lbs. of ribs. Will not look good if you run out of grub!

I agree with BBS... I always tend to err on the side of a bit too much meat rather than run out. What are the hosts saying as far as quantity and budget? Are they paying you a flat fee and you supply the meat or do they cover the cost of the meat and then give you $X for providing the services?

The other variable is the sides.... If you're plenty comfortable with the amount of 'others' available for consumption, then your quantities are pretty close as there will be other belly fillers around. Oh, and one other thing... Is alcohol being served? It's been my experience that when people are drinking, there is a lot more grazing going on which puts a strain on the groceries.

Best of luck to your cook - sounds like a blast!

I would figure closer to 3 ribs per person if you have teenagers. Girls won't do over two but boys...

I agree. I think you need a bit more food. Kids can eat their weight in groceries. I figure 1/2# for ladies on pork. I figure 3/4# for men. Kids, I figure some will eat 5 or more bones of ribs. Just my expierence serving buffet style food.
Mike

I'd do 70# of raw pork (it'll yield around 40-45#) for the pulled pork and about 20-25 racks of ribs. 40# of wings ought to cover you. Personally, I'd do pork and ribs or pork and wings but not all three - you're in for a long, long cook session and need a seriously big cooker to pull it off by yourself. I'd consider grilling or deep frying the wings (hot wings) to save some time.

PS: I'd serve the meat the first time through so everyone gets some food. Don't let the 3/4# guys serve themselves at the beginning...especially the ribs - just a thought! Start with a generous pile of pork and two ribs - they can always come back for more!

Just my $.02 worth. I'm doing pork and sides for approximately 400 this Sunday so I'm a bit stressed myself!!

bbqbull said:
I agree. I think you need a bit more food. Kids can eat their weight in groceries. I figure 1/2# for ladies on pork. I figure 3/4# for men. Kids, I figure some will eat 5 or more bones of ribs. Just my expierence serving buffet style food.
Mike
Yep, maybe just a bit more.

Back