Must try chicken recipe!!!

stargate823

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So... I decided to try a recipe out of this grilling magazine I bought years ago but hadn't tried in a long time. Since last I tried it I've learned so many things that make my Q turn out great instead of subpar. After dinner tonight I decided I MUST share this with the brethren because the end result was absolutely incredible!!! This was originally a beer can chicken recipe but I modded it a bit to use with a spatchcocked chicken. Here is what I did...

The rub:

2 TBSP kosher or sea salt
4 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Reserve 1 tablespoon of rub for the sauce.

Do this: Spatchcock a chicken. Rub the bird down with vegetable oil and sprinkle rub all over. Be sure to get some oil and rub under the skin on the breasts. I didn't use any wood for this cook but I will next time. I cooked my bird on an 18" Weber smokey mountain without a water pan at 300 - 325. Cooking direct over the coals gives a flavor that cannot be beat. Check temp after an hour. My 7 pound bird took about an hour and 20 minutes to hit temp. Pull at 165 and rest for 5 - 10 minutes.

While the bird is cooking, prepare the sauce:

In a sauce pan combine the following and heat:

6 oz beer (Budwieser or similar lager)
6 TBSP ketchup
3 TBSP dijon mustard
1.5 TBSP molasses
1.5 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TBSP rub
1/2 tsp hot sauce, such as tobacco

This is not a glaze sauce as much as it is a drizzle/dip sauce after the chicken is done and cut. The results are incredible! I'd love for my fellow brethren to try this and tweak as they see fit - best chicken I have made in a very long time!!! Here's a pic of the bird ready to come off - sorry there isn't any more pics... too busy enjoying the mouth-gasm! I'd love to hear feedback on this recipe!!! Please try it and enjoy!!!

1053055_10151700465113470_1726662901_o.jpg

Looks great:thumb:

Where does one find this "tobacco" hot sauce?:confused::p

That looks great! :hungry:

Looks like you left the water pan out, right? I do that a lot on my mini-WSM and like the way it cooks. The extra distance between food and charcoal seems to provide just the right amount of heat for stuff like chicken. :thumb:

That does look good...definitely have to try it some time.

Where does one find this "tobacco" hot sauce?:confused::p

Woops - you zinged me! LOL! I meant Tobasco! :doh:

That looks great! :hungry:

Looks like you left the water pan out, right? I do that a lot on my mini-WSM and like the way it cooks. The extra distance between food and charcoal seems to provide just the right amount of heat for stuff like chicken. :thumb:

Yep - no water pan. This was on my 18" WSM. I've also used the 22" WSM in the same way. Direct over the coals with no pan and 300-325 is my new favorite way to cook chicken. This bird came out fantastic! :biggrin1:

Def looks and sounds good. I will try as I always hunt for a good chicken recipe. So far my favorite is the Walkerswood jerk marinade but this recipe fits my flavor profile.

Back