Pecan Wood Question

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a comp coming up next weekend and was wondering if pecan wood that has been ambushed by termites would still be good to cook with. The bugs are gone but there are holes in the wood. I was just wanting to use less mesquite wood during the cook and substitute something in.

Thanks

With all the time, money and effort that goes into a comp, why risk it?

Try it on something you can throw out with no consequences other than the cost of the meat if you're curious.

NB: I've never competed.

Ya i second that, termites do leave reside or waste behind. Toss it

I have some pecan from a weber bag. A chunk last week had termite holes in it. It was fine. It's just wood.

With all the time, money and effort that goes into a comp, why risk it?

Try it on something you can throw out with no consequences other than the cost of the meat if you're curious.

NB: I've never competed.

^ +1 I agree........

I have some pecan from a weber bag. A chunk last week had termite holes in it. It was fine. It's just wood.

i have used piece that you could tell had some at one time, but i used it and it seemed fine.

Are you sure it's termites? Most pecan, just like any other species of hickory that's seasoned with the bark on, will usually get riddled with flat-head borers and powderpost beetles and be shot full of small holes. That won't hurt a thing for using it to cook with if the wood is still dry and sound-I use bug-hole wood all the time and there is absolutely no difference. If it was actually termites, that would usually indicate that the wood has stayed wet and started to get soft and rot. In that case, I wouldn't use it.

Are you sure it's termites? Most pecan, just like any other species of hickory that's seasoned with the bark on, will usually get riddled with flat-head borers and powderpost beetles and be shot full of small holes. That won't hurt a thing for using it to cook with if the wood is still dry and sound-I use bug-hole wood all the time and there is absolutely no difference. If it was actually termites, that would usually indicate that the wood has stayed wet and started to get soft and rot. In that case, I wouldn't use it.

^^^^This. It also could be carpenter ants. I use bug hole wood all the time.

well truth be known I dont know exactly what kind of bug it was. I just know there is holes in it. I'll use mesquite wood this time.

Thanks for all the info.

I have a comp coming up next weekend and was wondering if pecan wood that has been ambushed by termites would still be good to cook with. The bugs are gone but there are holes in the wood. I was just wanting to use less mesquite wood during the cook and substitute something in.

Thanks

Pass on the Termites.
I think wood from splintered pallets would be healthier.

Take the Termite wood and burn it in the fire pit, not your smoker.

well truth be known I dont know exactly what kind of bug it was. I just know there is holes in it. I'll use mesquite wood this time.

Thanks for all the info.

Just borer holes, probably then. They're gone already. I would use it and not worry about it.

Back