Ribs Poll

What Pork ribs do you like to prepare for contest turn-in

• St. Louis Style trimmed spare ribs

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Babyback/loinbacks

Votes: 22 47.8%

• Total voters
Several long threads on this subject with some pretty good reading.
Here is just one:
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9227&highlight=spares+babybacks

Lots of good reading.

Seems like some have a strong preferrence, others cook both at various times.
Some just cook one type better than the other.

What wins is the "best prepared entry" for that event, IMHO.

We cook whichever looks the best when we go to buy the meat.
No poll option for that.

TIM

I really like the way babybacks lay in the box. Both are good eating. We've considered trying a turn in box with both in it.....

Solidkick said:
I really like the way babybacks lay in the box. Both are good eating. We've considered trying a turn in box with both in it.....

If you do, please be sure to post your findings. I'd be interested to see how that turned out.

We typically turn in spares . We have done much better with spares than we did with babybacks, when we used to turn those in. My guess is because the baby backs were not as meaty, to give the judges something to really bite into....

We used to use loin ribs but switched to spares because we feel that they have more flavor. Can't really say that it improved our scores - still in the middle of the pack.

In two years we have NEVER been called for ribs - well actually we got called for first once but after the hoot'n and holler'n it turned out to be a mistake. :mad: :oops:

We try to cook with the best meat we can find. If it happens to be BBR we cook BBR, if it is spares we cook spares.

River City Smokehouse said:
There were 30 votes in this poll. It came up 50/50. Thanks to all of you who contributed their vote.
Jim

Didn't really give you any definitive answers, did it, Jim? :lol: I was kinda hoping to see it lean heavily one way or the other myself.

Yea, well someone brought up this question on a different message board so I wanted to weigh it against another just to see if the results were close in any manner. The other one came up with spares much more preferred than the use of BB's. I guess when it comes down to it, it is just personal preferences. Some like it hot, some like it however they can get it.

I cook Spares, but I agree that either can win a contest. Pick one and learn to cook it well.

Steve

I am just a backyard cooker, but for a contest i would go with BB's they tend to look more uniform, and to me they are a lot easier to cook.

I wonder what Kind of ribs lunchlady uses. I know her team did real well in the rib category last year. Come on spill the beans !!

Back