Getting in BBQ shape for 2013

I am debating on whether or not to get a splitter and clear some wood or just to buy the wood for the first season or two. any thoughts?

2012-11-10_15-59-27_38.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Not knowing your situation it's tough to say. Do you have property or access to some with wood ? Do you have any equipment ? Are you just using to BBQ ? I would probably look to buy first year or so and do the math based on your situation. Truth be known it's probably less expensive to buy especially if your not using much but I have farms, all the equipment, saws, tractors with loaders, dozer, ect. I even have a spliter but prefer to swing the maul for exercise. Hope that helps

Happy New Year

You are in much better "shape" than I am. That much wood is no easy task.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are in much better "shape" than I am. That much wood is no easy task.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL...That picture came from another Brethren, Certified106 and I'm not sure if he has a spliter or did that by hand. Either way thats still a lot of wood and work. I have done about 1/5 that much by hand in the last week or so and feel pretty good. FLEXIN works wonders.

What an outstanding offer for the local and nearby Brethren members.

LOL...That picture came from another Brethren, Certified106 and I'm not sure if he has a spliter or did that by hand. Either way thats still a lot of wood and work. I have done about 1/5 that much by hand in the last week or so and feel pretty good. FLEXIN works wonders.

Considering the fact that my Dad and I process close to 12 cords of wood a year I do own a 27 ton hydraulic splitter however if it is straight grained oak I will usually bust it up with a maul or ax just because it is faster. I would say I usually split two cords a year by hand.

Ummm I'll be right over with my truck - nice stock of wood you have there!

Was in west TN hunting with my nephew the week before Christmas & we made a beer & bourbon run to Paducah (Roof Brothers).

Will keep ya in mind if we're up that way again & will trade ya some Texas BBQ sauces and rubs for some wood.

First off, that is one hell of a nice stand of trees for harvesting some wood!:cool:

But, I have tried too long to resist, and can no longer keep myself out of this thread.

I'm already in BBQ shape, fat and lazy!:becky:

BBQMaverick... how do you like your splitting maul? I've tried two so far. The first one had a hickory handle (which I promptly broke when I swung and hit the stump with the handle.) I couldn't find a replacement that fit, so I bought a new maul with a fiberglass handle. It has held up a lot better - but it still does not do a great job at splitting. So, I'd like to know how you like your maul. Thanks. :-D

Back