• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

going to try a ham need a little help

BigBlock

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a 15 lb boston but that I am going to cure, my question is how long and at what temp should I smoke it at

Agree with Guerry. Not sure it matters, but why are you going to cure a shoulder for a ham instead of curing a ham for a ham?

AND...

If you're cooking a butt as a ham, I'm honestly not sure what to tell you as far as cooking time and temps.

A ham doesn't have the fat marbling or as much connective tissue as a butt (I don't think) and may be pretty tough to eat if only cooked to 155-160 (the typical ham finished temp).

Just thoughts.

I did not know, I just had the butt in the frezzer and thought I saw that some one did it it

A cured butt is normally called BuckBoard bacon around here.
Lots of threads on curing and cooking it.

Ham is on the other end of the piggie.

TIM

Folks don't forget that Picnic Hams are actually shoulder. This isn't as foreign as you might think and green hams aren't the easiest thing to find in some hell hole areas like I live in.

A 15 lb butt...really? That must have been one big piggie that came off of!!! Or is it a whole shoulder at 15 lbs?

I agree though, cure it and cook it to 160* or so. I do buckboard bacon all the time. It does remind me of ham a bit, but not quite the same.

I have a 15 lb boston but that I am going to cure, my question is how long and at what temp should I smoke it at

No such thing as a 15 lb butt. You have to 8ish lb'rs.
Curing should be done according to the cure you are using. Usually 1 day per lb of meat.

Buckboard bacon is not ham but well worth the time to make. :cool:

When curing butts for buckboard bacon, I de-bone and slice the butt so it is 1/2 the normal thickness. Instead of about 5" thick, it becomes about 2.5" thick.

Curing time is by thickness, not weight for me. Normally 5-7 days.

Good Eats!

TIM

To speed the cure up I boil a quart or so of water, remove from heat, dissolve the cure/sugar in the hot water, chill & then shoot up the ham or butt. Then into ziploc bags & in the fridge for 5-10 days depending on the weight. Last ham I did was a tad over 22 lbs. & 10 days in the cure. Soaked out for a day & then 2 days drying in the fridge. Smoked @ 250F to 145F internal & then chilled as quickly as possible. Tender & moist like all get out.... YMMV. Cheers!!!

Back