• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

• It's Ham Time again...

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Every Christmas time I cure and smoke hams to sell. Did a batch for samplers the other day. Ended up with 25lbs of sliced hams. I did 2 boneless legs and 2 boneless shoulders.

file-124.jpg

file-125.jpg

file-126.jpg

file-127.jpg

file-128.jpg

Injected:
file-129.jpg

file-130.jpg

Fast forward 2 weeks.
file-121.jpg

Smoked them for a couple hours then I coated them with my Dry glaze and smoked them til they were done at 155˚
file-122.jpg

file-123.jpg

file-142.jpg

I let them cool for a bit then sliced them all up and packaged out into 1lb vacubags.

Thanks for looking!
Cheers

Looooks phabulous! I'm going to do a fresh ham this year again, requested by all the relatives and a smoked turkey.

My mother in law has been wanting me to smoke a ham. Any good recipes you could recommend if you're not willing to share yours?

LOOOOVE Smoked ham. Those look great. I would not mind trying to do the cure on one too.

You should try it. Likely it will be the best ham u ever had. I hate store bought ones cause they are always a little water logged.. The one I did was perfection.

I love seeing your hams every year but I think I'd love to eat them even more. :thumbup:

:whoo:

Glad you're putting this up - I love your posts, but I really love your ham posts - I did a ham cured butt last year with one of your recipes and it was fanfarkingtastic! I'm gonna do one for Thanksgiving this year.

Any particular reason for deboning the cuts? Is it for slicing purposes?

Thanks guys!

My mother in law has been wanting me to smoke a ham. Any good recipes you could recommend if you're not willing to share yours?

Here's a great base to start from.

For a 12-15lb ham use:
1 Gallon Water
1.5 cup Kosher Salt
2 cup Brown Sugar
1.5 oz Cure #1 (Pink salt)

That's a good base for your brine. Add whatever spices & herbs you want. Add any un-crushed spices you'd like (eg cloves, cinnamon, allspice, peppercorns, garlic, chilis) to hot water & stir to dissolve (Make sure to dissolve the pink salt first). Cover & steep for a bit then put it in the fridge and let it cool to 40˚ before adding meat. Brine for 2 lbs a day (12lb ham = 6 days) Then you remove from the brine, wash it off, dry it & smoke + glaze. There you go.

Hope this helps.

:whoo:

Glad you're putting this up - I love your posts, but I really love your ham posts - I did a ham cured butt last year with one of your recipes and it was fanfarkingtastic! I'm gonna do one for Thanksgiving this year.

Any particular reason for deboning the cuts? Is it for slicing purposes?

Yeah I deboned them so it gives a nicer looking slice. It cures a bit faster as well.

Cheers

What temp do you smoke ham at? I am going to try one here soon and if it's good I'll bust one out for the family at Thanksgiving.

Here's a great base to start from.

For a 12-15lb ham use:
1 Gallon Water
1.5 cup Kosher Salt
2 cup Brown Sugar
1.5 oz Cure #1 (Pink salt)

That's a good base for your brine. Add whatever spices & herbs you want. Add any un-crushed spices you'd like (eg cloves, cinnamon, allspice, peppercorns, garlic, chilis) to hot water & stir to dissolve (Make sure to dissolve the pink salt first). Cover & steep for a bit then put it in the fridge and let it cool to 40˚ before adding meat. Brine for 2 lbs a day (12lb ham = 6 days) Then you remove from the brine, wash it off, dry it & smoke + glaze. There you go.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!!

Awesome post, I love your ham posts. I typically find ham too salty for my tastes, can I use your recipe and down the amount of salt, or would I get into a spoilage issue.

Thanks guys!

What temp do you smoke ham at? I am going to try one here soon and if it's good I'll bust one out for the family at Thanksgiving.

They really are great. I smoke them at 275, glaze them at 130 and take them off at 155.

Awesome post, I love your ham posts. I typically find ham too salty for my tastes, can I use your recipe and down the amount of salt, or would I get into a spoilage issue.

Try the recipe as is. I too don't like a salty ham and I've adjusted this to be a bit more sweet than salty ham. You can taste the brine before you cure the ham to get a feel of the sweet/salt balance.

I've got some butts in the freezer. I'm going to give this a whirl!

Do it! If you want to try something a bit different do a search for my black peppered hams. Very nice stuff!

Mmmmmm... Lookin' good Phrasty!!

Thanks Jeanie!
Cheers

Back