how do i make my sauce glossy?

T

TEAM PIG IRON

Hey everyone! I make my own sauce for comp and home... but for comps it needs to be glossy I would think ... what gives sauce a glossy look?

set the sauce that you use then glaze the previously set sauce with agave nectar. i like the amber and sometimes i add a some adobo to break the sweetness of it a little bit.

Ok I have 2a sauces... one is loaded with honey... so... if say I use corn starch how much do I add to my sauce? Also never used the nectar ... I take it its sweet so how much so I add per say gallon for both? Im experimenting here so im looking for any ideas:) @ gail you had my sauce I believe at Lockport :)

Not much corn starch is needed, just a tablespoon or two for a gallon batch should give you the shine. Be sure to mix it well to a cold liquid before adding to the sauce, and if there is a lot of vinegar in the sauce you may want to have a stick blender on hand to mix it in. You don't want it affecting flavor or thickening it, so keep the amount added small. It is a reflective substance naturally, and just having it suspended in the sauce will show the reflectivity. Arrowroot is also supposed to have a similar effect, but I have never used that.

I took some pics of a brethrens sauce recipe I made up that used corn starch for shine. I'll see if I can dig up the pics. I think I took before and after pics of the corn starch addition to show the difference.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
I was wrong, the corn starch was added at the beginning of the recipe so no before/after pics. But here is is all blended up (recipe used a stick blender). There are a lot of chunky bits still remaining but I think the reflectivity is pretty apparent in this pic.

Blended.jpg

Thanks chris! That's all im looking for! That is the sheen im trying to create

1 cup of apple juice to about 3/4 cup of pure cane sugar, adjust to suit your preferences. Its a good base to mix and match flavors, add cherries or honey or mango or chipotle or catsup for the tomatoe base flavor. Put it on the stove on a slow boil for at least 30 minutes to reduce. It will be sweet but in a good way and will shine like the moon, lol.

How can you forget Texas pepper jelly? 2 cups of sbr's honey chipotle, 1 cup Bragg ACV and 1 cup of apple habanero jelly is a kick ass rib glaze!

How can you forget Texas pepper jelly? 2 cups of sbr's honey chipotle, 1 cup Bragg ACV and 1 cup of apple habanero jelly is a kick ass rib glaze!
Just tried out the cherry habanero jelly on a rack of ribs this past weekend, came out shiny with a sweet and lil kick at the end. Next one im going to try is the pineapple habanero one.

Just tried out the cherry habanero jelly on a rack of ribs this past weekend, came out shiny with a sweet and lil kick at the end. Next one im going to try is the pineapple habanero one.

Gotta try the apple cherry habanero rib candy! It's awesome dude. Also the passion fruit is kick ass. I honestly love everyone inhave tried so far.

Lite corn syrup helps gets sauce glazy, glossy though? Not sure about that, I haven't noticed. It doesn't alter flavor much at all either.

Adding butter will make the sauce shiny, too.

Back