• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Canopy for competition

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys thought of this canopy. I need to buy one with the walls and am unsure who makes the best product. I know many of you guys have years of experience using these things so I could use any input you have to offer.

Thanks!

I know that Sams has a 10x10 EZ-UP brand that looks the same for $199. Also has a little 4 ft awning.

We just got a big farkin car port. Kinda expensive but real heavy duty with walls and doors, will cover our whole site.

"Caravan" makes a durable canopy. My brother has two that we have been using for years. They've been through some serious wind and rain at comps!

i'm pretty sure undercover and caravan are the same thing under different names. my canopy is the caravan display shade model, it's been through hell and back with no problems(except that pesky pin won't stay put, but i think that's just a defect with mine).

if i were to do it over again, i'd upgrade to the caravan classic model. it has an adjustable dial so you can tweak the roof to be steeper and prevent rain from pooling.

for what it's worth, i spent a very very long time researching canopies after troy 2011 and selected caravan.

"Caravan" makes a durable canopy. My brother has two that we have been using for years. They've been through some serious wind and rain at comps!
The canvasses have become a little weather worn, BUT . . . that's because I typically have one of them set up on and screwed down to my deck from April though October. That's a lot of use.

I have 2 of the professional undercovers, and love them. I used to have the slant leg ez-up, and these are way better. I did comparisons of all brands before buying, and Undercover seemed to match the specs of all other high end canopies, but cost significantly less.

I need to buy one with the walls

Yes, you do. :becky:

I used to use cheaper tents, and I always kept fixing them or replacing them every year. I finally broke down and sprung for the high end EZ UP (Eclipse II). Yes, it LOOKS like the other ones, but it's not. I used to replace tents every year, it seemed. Eclipse II has internally braced tubes, higher grade materials, better latches. I have been using it for 3 years now, only fixed a couple of parts after it flipped at New Paltz last year. It will set you back a few bucks though...we only went that way because we are doing 16 contests a year now.

You can also go with the entry level Express II with walls and a roller bag for $329.

I order from ezup4u.com. They are an EZ UP distributor, and they charge less then retail. No reason to go through EZ UP directly and pay more.

We've been using a Shelter Logic Max AP 10' X 20' (8 legs) for the last 3 years. It gets about 6 or 7 events a year between comps and family parties. It's held up extremely well and I haven't had to replace a single part (now that i've said it...). It has the smaller diameter 1 3/8" poles as opposed to the 2" version but for the amount we use it I figured it would do. Paid less than $200 for it I think from Amazon. Couldn't find one local at the same or close price. Has worked flawlessly and have no reason to look at a replacement yet. Good luck. Matt

http://www.shelterlogic.com/Product...e0200dc3254&CategoryName=Max AP Canopy Series

Costco has a 10*20 canopy that has screened windows and a door on one side. We purchased one this year after fighting with lesser than model. It isn't an EZ up and requires a little bit of time to set up but we think its worth it.

I have that exact 10x10 canopy from costco....it's all aluminum (very light and strong) and can be put up and taken down by 1 person (much better than the ez-up canopy sold at Sam's)...as far as the walls go, I opted for 8x10 mesh tarps purchased at harbor freight...when zip tied to the canopy, it blocks out the sun and repels rain, while still allowing some sort of air circulation.

Back