Hi all - assembling the parts for my first UDS build. Question - if I buy a brand new drum, I'm assuming the whole food grade/not food grade thing goes out the window. I'm sure my HOA wouldn't appreciate me doing a burn in my backyard to get rid of a lining.

Thanks,
Rick

I've got at least a dozen or more cooks done on my UDS , most of the food that has come off of it has been wonderful. I have read the ENTIRE UDS thread , but I still have a couple of questions for the "pros".
1. My UDS has extreme hot and cold spots , varying as much as 50 degrees over different points on my grates , my charcoal basket is wide and low and I tend to spread my lit coals around on top of my unlit coals. So my question is , will a diffuser of some sort help with this , and will it create any "new" issues od it's own if I did use one.

2. I sprayed down the inside of my drum with PAM before my first cook , and have cooked several fatties , so for the most part the inside of the drum is pretty greasy , but it's still starting to rust on certain spots , is there a need to "re-season" every once in a while , or is this normal?

3. I need suggestions for a thermometer , I started out with one of those turkey fry thermometers , it lasted about 3 cooks. Lately I have been using my digital probe through a block of wood sitting on one of the grates but would prefer a side mounted solution. What would be a good thermometer to use? I don't mind paying a little more for a good one , or two.

4. Where should I be reading temps at? between my two grates? Or should I have one just below each grate? I find that if I get my digital too close to the meat it messes with the reading , so I'd appreciate some suggestions here.
I was in the same exact boat as you and was convinced that I needed to make a diffuser. After reading a lot on diffusers and coming up with a tentative design, I wound up going a different route. I was walking down the aisle in "Tractor Supply" and came across the dog bowls. The largest stainelss steel dog bowl I they had looked perfect, so I purchased it. I layed some 5/8 cold roll across the top of the coal basket to support the bowl. I then filled the bowl with water. The temps are within 3 degrees from the inner and outer edges of the grate where in the past the center was 40-50 degrees warmer. so for like 15 bucks the problem is solved.

the bowl mightve been this since i dont see a larger size on the site

http://www.tractorsupply.com/spot-mirror-finish-stainless-steel-bowl-10-qt--2427363

I used a SS drum as well. I had to flare out my kettle lid lip a little to overcome the dimension difference. I added a strip of gasket all the way around on the inside of the lid.
I used ss bolts with a lock-nut assmbly to support the grates.
b87f0dea.jpg
3545749f.jpg

thanks alot for the advice !!!

Hi all - assembling the parts for my first UDS build. Question - if I buy a brand new drum, I'm assuming the whole food grade/not food grade thing goes out the window. I'm sure my HOA wouldn't appreciate me doing a burn in my backyard to get rid of a lining.

Thanks,
Rick

it has to be unlined if you dont want to burn so if you buy new specify that you want an unlined drum.

Search for the thread by JMSeltzer on his mod of putting a strip of metal along the top of his drum so his Webber lid would fit without banging it out of shape. It is a simple but effective mod.

just found... seems to be simple easy fix... thanks for ur help !!!!

I used a SS drum as well. I had to flare out my kettle lid lip a little to overcome the dimension difference. I added a strip of gasket all the way around on the inside of the lid.
b87f0dea.jpg
3545749f.jpg

very nice ... thanks for your help !!!!

Took the plunge today...

I ordered a brand new 85 gallon barrel from Grainger. Unlined open top 1.5mm thick all around.

Gonna order the weber 26" cooking areas and start looking at plans to build a fire basket.

Hopefully will have this guy done in a couple weeks for its first run before summer starts.

I heard some people lining the bottom with concrete so it doesn't rust through or burn out - is that a good idea? I'm going to put this guy on casters so I don't really care how heavy it'll get.

Cheers!

MH

What type of gasket did you use and where did you find it? I've been starting to look for a silicon gasket but haven't been able to find anything yet.

recession? must not be!

Here is what I scored on the way to the dump today. Everything works too. Now I need to decide if I'm going to use it as is or pull the Weber out and add my UDS to the frame....Suggestions?

The guy was going to put it in the scrap steel until I gave him $20 to let me take it home. Even had new grates?

Attachments

• grill 211.jpg
    grill 211.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 834
I have a question about how much you need to burn your barrel. I have attached a picture to show the inside of my barrel. Do I need to get all of the orange out? It feels rough like maybe its the bare metal but I want to make sure.

Attachments

• Barrel.jpg
    Barrel.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 876
Twins!

inraged2002,

I'm definately no expert, but I was able to get more of the orange out with a good hot burn, a wire wheel on an angle grinder, and then a disk on an angle grinder (only needed for the bottom). Here are pictures of my build:

Food grade barrel. Had corn syrup in it. Tan food liner. :sad:
UDS01.jpg

Burning 'em out!
UDS02.jpg

Got most of the liner out.
UDS03.jpg

Used wire wheel on an angle grinder on the sides and was able to get it off.
UDS04.jpg

Painted with high temp grill paint.
UDS05.jpg

Used an angle grinder with a disc on the bottom.
UDS06.jpg

Rack levels.
UDS07.jpg

Install.
UDS08.jpg

Charcoal racks wired up.
UDS09.jpg

Weleded.
UDS10.jpg

Heat cycle.
UDS11.jpg

Maiden voyage.
UDS12.jpg

Didn't get a pic in time, this is about half eaten. LOL!
UDS13.jpg

Thanks for a great forum!
-Kyle

Wow looks good. Unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder. I bought a wire brush for my drill but that really doesn't work that well. Do you have to remove the orange. i'm not sure what color the liner was as my dad burnt it out for me.

Wow looks good. Unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder. I bought a wire brush for my drill but that really doesn't work that well. Do you have to remove the orange. i'm not sure what color the liner was as my dad burnt it out for me.

I burned mine out twice and each time it glowed red, and it still had a small amount of the liner in it. I figured that using it, it would never get that hot again.

So, I finished it up, painted the outside and have been using it for about 2 years. Have never smelled, tasted or had any odd side effects from any food cooked on it.
After my first season burn, the whole inside of the barrel is covered in black. It wont rust as long as I don't wash it out. I used pam to season it with.

The outside of the barrel when cooking up to 300 degrees is hot to the touch, but not hot enough to cause any burns. Don't think any liner left will get hot enough to produce any undesirable fumes.

Took the plunge today...

I ordered a brand new 85 gallon barrel from Grainger. Unlined open top 1.5mm thick all around.

Gonna order the weber 26" cooking areas and start looking at plans to build a fire basket.

Hopefully will have this guy done in a couple weeks for its first run before summer starts.

I heard some people lining the bottom with concrete so it doesn't rust through or burn out - is that a good idea? I'm going to put this guy on casters so I don't really care how heavy it'll get.

Cheers!

MH

I see no need to put cement in the bottom of the drum if you season it properly. Mine has been up and running for about 2 years and the bottom is just like it was when I first seasoned it. No rust or corrosion.

I think I gave less than 20 bucks for the angle grinder at Harbor Freight.

need info on gaskets/silicone

Good day Brethren. I am making a uds using the bottom half of a cheap kettle as the dome lid. Had to fashion a ring for it to rest on as it was way smaller then the open drum.
I hear people mention gaskets and silicone in use for sealing such cracks or voids and am just wondering if brethren could post pics of the actual product or products they used.
The only hi heat silicone i can find is automotive. is this the stuff i want or is their another variety.
any advice or suggestions appreciated
thanks

The Buckhorn Bar n Grill

Hello everyone, I'm Bailey from Whistler, BC, Canada.

I have just finished building my 'Drum Kit' and have started modifying my backyard into the Buckhorn Bar 'n Grill. I have made 2 UDS and one open top party grill.
Heres what the kit looks like.
6.jpg

I started with these brand new barrels I had special ordered. I got 2 with removable lids and thicker gauge steel. The solid barrel is what I used for the grill.
1.jpg

Heres the first one I finished. I cut it in half to access the coals better. I definitely noticed some slight temperature fluctuations when I first used it. I now use aluminum foil tape to seal it off.
2.jpg

Heres the bottom half with the coal basket loaded up. Theres a couple more chunks of wood buried in there somewhere.
3.jpg

...and the Top. You can see the heat diffuser on the coal basket. For the lid I welded on the hook and handles and it definitely warped it a bit. I kept the locking rings and that helps keep it closed and from people opening the damn thing when I'm not looking!
7.jpg

Heres the party grill. I made the lid completely removable so friends can gather around the grill. Makes for a good party atmosphere. Here we have some chicken thighs resting.
11.jpg

...and the chefs perspective.. Got a pork butt roasting up in one of the UDS.
9.jpg

The BHBnG in full effect!
5.jpg

Heres the pork butt... Cooked it for 10 hours. Started the fire at 8 am and it was holding at 250 when I went to bed at 1am!
Pork ended up really good, enjoyed it in some sangies with some home made sauce and slaw. Turned out perfectly as far as I like it.
12.jpg

This is my third summer that I have been spending all my free time smoking meat products and making barbeces. Here is a pic of the first one I made 2 years ago. I had never heard of the UDS and came up with the design myself.
302442_10150351764650400_6480380_n.jpg

It did a decent job and taught me a lot about cooking meat. It had a few things about it that made it very inefficient compared to the UDS!

In august myself and 2 friends will be entering the Canadian National BBQ Champs here in Whistler for the third time! I am really excited to enter with my new UDS and give it our best!

Thank you to everyone in this post and on the forum! I have learned so much and cant wait to give a brisket a go here on the weekend.

Good day Brethren. I am making a uds using the bottom half of a cheap kettle as the dome lid. Had to fashion a ring for it to rest on as it was way smaller then the open drum.
I hear people mention gaskets and silicone in use for sealing such cracks or voids and am just wondering if brethren could post pics of the actual product or products they used.
The only hi heat silicone i can find is automotive. is this the stuff i want or is their another variety.
any advice or suggestions appreciated
thanks

This is what I used. Found it in the auto section at Walmart.

DisplayImage.asp

Back