• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CA Brethren - Choice Packers at Smart & Final

I just checked the advertised specials and brisket is not coming up. Probably not on sale at my local S&F?

This gives me motivation to finish up my UDS.

I have been craving brisket for awhile and now is a good time to do it.

Thanks.

I found a load of choice packers in Hayward at S&F, not sure about price though.

I take that back, it was $30 for a 15lb packer, doing the math that is around $2 a pound

Yup, Smart & Final is a great place to buy packers. You can find the Choice in there with the Select at the same price of $1.99/lb. Thanks to r2egg2Q (the brisket God)for pointing this out to me.

The Lake Forest store in South OC has a bunch of choice with a few selects mixed in. And the $1.99 has been going on for a few weeks now.

That's where I got my last one. Heck, that's pretty much the only place I can find them around here. With tri-tip pushing 5, even 6 bucks a pound in many cases, brisket is becoming more and more sensible.

Will they freeze okay?

Never done it, but I don't see why not. If I'm not mistaken, you can also let it age in the cryo in the fridge for something like 30-40 days, but it's very important the cryo is intact and the fridge is cold (below 40) and doesn't get opened too much. I may go back & grab me another one of those farkers.

I just checked yer link - are you at Westfield Farmer's Market every Saturday?

Never done it, but I don't see why not.

I just checked yer link - are you at Westfield Farmer's Market every Saturday?

Ya, usually. I'm doing ribs, tri tip, maybe brisket and Pibil pork tacos. Come on down. Still trying to get the ribs right. Since I have to cook on site and buy the meat the same day, it's hard to a slow cook on the ribs.

Yup, Smart & Final is a great place to buy packers. You can find the Choice in there with the Select at the same price of $1.99/lb. Thanks to r2egg2Q (the brisket God)for pointing this out to me.

Uh, thanks Marty but I'm far from approaching brisket diety status. I'm just a guy that appreciates brisket!

I did pick up a couple of choice briskets from S&F last week @ $1.99/lb and trying to determine if I have time for another one.:becky:

Ya, usually. I'm doing ribs, tri tip, maybe brisket and Pibil pork tacos. Come on down. Still trying to get the ribs right. Since I have to cook on site and buy the meat the same day, it's hard to a slow cook on the ribs.

I will most definitely come by in the next week or 2 - looking forward to it! :thumb:

Will they freeze okay?

I know that there is a Smart and Final near the Arrowhead Mall if you are in the Phoenix area. I have to go to the GolfSmith up there tomorrow and will check it out. I'm throwing a BBQ party for the Packers vs Saints game Sept 8th and will have enough people around for me to finally try a brisket!

edit - actually a quick google search shows 8 smart and finals in the phoenix metro area. i've never frequented them but this isn't the first thread i've seen with a good meat deal at their stores.

That's where I got my last one. Heck, that's pretty much the only place I can find them around here. With tri-tip pushing 5, even 6 bucks a pound in many cases, brisket is becoming more and more sensible.

I hear ya. Both of my suppliers are at $4 a pd now for unpeeled choice, Niman ranch is $6 a pound and requires 2 week lead time.

Most people walk up and expect brisket anyway and don't know what tri tip is let alone what Santa Maria style is. I may go that direction as well.

Back