Venting a Backwoods through the roof of an enclosed trailer

The optional butterfly valve on the BWS is designed for just such a thing. It would be a bit different for the standard "cap" style chimney (probably would want to get some sort of fan and a large funnel/vent to capture the smoke if using the cap style.

With the butterfly valves and they are pretty straightforward. Sorta looks like a stove pipe that connects the cooker to the roof.

Just be sure to take precautions about carbon monoxide. Seems there was a thread a while back about a fellow that had a nice setup (pipe, vents, fans, etc.) and still had an issue with carbon monoxide build up.

It's not an enclosed trailer, but I think you can sorta get the idea. I'll see if I can drum up or take some more pictures.

newsmokerMay2005-1.jpg

Don't do it. Backwoods and pretty much all cooker aren't air tight. They're going to expel CO from around the doors and from the vents into the enclosure even when the doors aren't open.

We have a Comp Hog with butterfly vents mounted in our enclosed trailer. There are ZERO situations where someone is cooking in the trailer without proper airflow. We always have a combination of roof vents, doors, and/or vending windows open when cooking on it. We have it mounted inside due to our health department. Also having sinks, prep tables, and a fridge near by is nice. At a comp by the time we open everything up the trailer is close to being an open air trailer. When being towed and stored it is nice to be enclosed for better security and protection from the elements.

We had a friend make stacks that match the built in stacks of the cooker. We extended those directly up through the roof. Very similar to the picture posted by TN BBQ.

It can be done just be smart and safe.

I totally agree about the dangers of carbon monoxide, etc. What I plan to do in this case, though, is totally isolate the cooker from the rest of the trailer, with an access door to the cooker from the outside. Actually, I plan to eventually mount two cookers in the trailer. What I am concerned about is water leakage around the stack where it exits the trailer. Also, the technique used for going through the roof. How about a flexible stack that sticks out the access door of the cooker compartment? Anybody ever do it that way? Thank you one and all for your thoughtful replies! BBQ'ers are the nicest folks in the world! That's one reason I love this hobby so!

I cook with my stumps inside my 12 ft enclosed trailer, I leave the back door cracked and vent the smoke through an aluminum flexible duct. If its not raining, i keep the top roof vent open and run a big fan to keep things moving. never have any problems with CO.

The flexible duct does tend to keep the moisture in, and yes it does leak out through the seams of the duct, but usually i just pour it out at one hour intervals and its not a problem.

I cook with my stumps inside my 12 ft enclosed trailer, I leave the back door cracked and vent the smoke through an aluminum flexible duct. If its not raining, i keep the top roof vent open and run a big fan to keep things moving. never have any problems with CO.

The flexible duct does tend to keep the moisture in, and yes it does leak out through the seams of the duct, but usually i just pour it out at one hour intervals and its not a problem.

How do you know you don't have a Carbon Monoxide problem. Do you have a CO detector in your trailer?. CO is an ordorless and colorless gas, how would you know if you had a problem or not? There are a lot of varying symptoms to CO poisoning. Coughing is not the only symptom, you may not cough at all when exposed.

Might also want to check with the fire dept. If you're trailer is all metal I would think you'd be OK, but if it contains flammable materials there may be an issue.

I do plan on the cooker compartment being all metal, and TOTALLY isolated from the front of the trailer - read caulk, insulation, additional exhaust fans, access doors that remain open, etc. I've seen something like what I want before, but I didn't know that's what I wanted at the time and didn't pay real good attention! I want a "stop and go" setup where I can basically park, open the door, and start cooking...rolling 350 pound smokers in and out of trailers just ain't my idea of having fun! Once again, thanks all!

How do you know you don't have a Carbon Monoxide problem. Do you have a CO detector in your trailer?. CO is an ordorless and colorless gas, how would you know if you had a problem or not? There are a lot of varying symptoms to CO poisoning. Coughing is not the only symptom, you may not cough at all when exposed.

Its been three years and Im not dead yet!!! lol, I know where you are going with the detector, just havent had any problems.:sick: no headaches, nausia etc) you are right though, CO detector would be a good idea.

The only time its a real issue is when the door is opened to check the meat, When the door is opened on the smoker, all the doors are opened on the trailer and it clears out pretty quick. Stumps are well sealed so when its just sitting there cooking, all the exhaust is vented out through the duct.

Hey, TN BBQ...wished I had noticed your address sooner...I live in Louisville...the one in TN! What part of Knox you in? Maybe I could come by and take a gander one day! That's a NICE set-up you got there, neighbor!

Hey, TN BBQ...wished I had noticed your address sooner...I live in Louisville...the one in TN! What part of Knox you in? Maybe I could come by and take a gander one day! That's a NICE set-up you got there, neighbor!

It's a beauty, but right now it is parked at a buddy's house in Memphis. :sad::icon_sad:Cry::cry:

I'm "making do" with just my BWS Party. :p

I hear ya, dude! You got any comps on the schedule in the near future?

Not really. I used to do the Blount County BBQ Bash (that was a couple weeks ago) and my friends want me to rejoin them for Memphis in May and a few other competitions, but I've sorta moved on from the competition stuff.

It's fun, but the kids are getting a little older and requiring a little more of my time (and then there is this special little black retriever that I fell in love with a few years ago that has become addicted to some of the AKC games :p). Just not enough, time, money or energy to go around.

You probably get the picture by now. In theory it sounds cool but you might not make it to the end of the competition with carbon contamination. It sounds similar to connecting a hose to your exhaust and closing your cars windows. Not a good outcome. May want to reconsider.

Actually, no, I don't "get the picture," and I don't mean any disrespect with that comment. I have seen this done more than once. I would hope I'm not dumb enough to close myself into a trailer and die of carbon monoxide poisoning! Did anyone notice I said that the smoker would be TOTALLY ISOLATED form the rest of the trailer with its own access door, exhaust fans, etc??? I just want some advice on the area where the stack exits the trailer, specifically how to avoid water leakage around this orifice. There are restaurants that have smokers inside the building where people eat, and no one dies of carbon monoxide poisoning because they do it correctly. There are ways to do things SAFELY, if one is so inclined - and I am! Surely someone on this site has done it and has lived to tell the tale! :-D Thanks again!

Not really. I used to do the Blount County BBQ Bash (that was a couple weeks ago) and my friends want me to rejoin them for Memphis in May and a few other competitions, but I've sorta moved on from the competition stuff.

It's fun, but the kids are getting a little older and requiring a little more of my time (and then there is this special little black retriever that I fell in love with a few years ago that has become addicted to some of the AKC games :p). Just not enough, time, money or energy to go around.

I hear ya! I have a little one that is about to get old enough to join me for a competition or two! He'll be 4 next month! I hope to pass on to him what I learn, and maybe he'll take it and run with it - if he's interested, that is. I'm also saving my Fender "strat" guitar for him, but he's saying he wants to be a drummer! Go figure!
The BBQ Bash was fun, but it was way too hot this year! The saving grace was that we won 1st place chicken! If not for that, I believe I would have drove off and left my equipment there! :p

I want a "stop and go" setup where I can basically park, open the door, and start cooking...rolling 350 pound smokers in and out of trailers just ain't my idea of having fun!

Heck, it would take at least 2 1/2 of your cookers to get to what mine weighs, I have no problem with unloading mine and moving it around wherever I want. I do use a small winch to load it and it's something me and my 4 year old son do. Several people roll their smoker out on the ramp door supported be jack stands. If I was going to get serious about BBQ, I'd buy a trailer with a porch and put my stuff out there.:thumb:

Back