Spare Rib Leftover Ideas?

mberry47

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I made some st. louis style spare ribs this weekend and have all that leftover meat from the top of the spare ribs (the part with the bones that run in the other direction). I de-boned it and trimmed out a lot of the fat, but have no idea what to do with it now. I was thinking about slow cooking it in a crockpot, but no recipe or anything. Anyone have any tips for what to do with this meat?

Thanks,
Matt

Wait...I just realized, you haven't cooked the trimmings yet?

BBQ Pork Enchiladas, BBQ Pork Pizza, Chef's snacks?

You can also season them like fajitas, grill the up and slice them into strips and make some great tacos out of them. We don't do baked beans down here - more of a pinto bean state, so I don't know how that would taste.

I cook mine alongside the ribs and then debone. I put the meat in BBQ beans like Deguerre said or I eat them as a snack prior to dinner. :-D

You speak of the fabulous, delicious, rib tips portion of the rack commonly referred to around his as the brisket portion. After I trim the rack down to St. Louis spares I smoke the rib tip portion right along with the spares. After they are cooked, I chunk them up and sauce them to eat as "rib tips" or freeze for later use with saurkraut.

Do you have a grinder?

Grind it up and make sausage! turns out pretty good.

You speak of the fabulous, delicious, rib tips portion of the rack commonly referred to around his as the brisket portion. After I trim the rack down to St. Louis spares I smoke the rib tip portion right along with the spares. After they are cooked, I chunk them up and sauce them to eat as "rib tips" or freeze for later use with saurkraut.

Yup, smoke em as they are (don't debone) and eat them as leftovers in the next couple of days or freeze em' and pull em out when you're jonzin' for some Q, but are either too lazy or can't.

Baked beans as Guerry said are great too!

I had to re-read the thread title... Unfortunately, I don't know what spare rib leftovers are.. I've never had them. :)

I would, however, try rib sushi... Make sushi rice, get tapioca or spring roll paper and dampen it. Lay the rice in a layer on the paper, and put a line of rib meat on it. Roll it up tight and cut into 1" portions. Lay on a plate, with a dollop of bbq sauce on each, and enjoy.

On the fried rice idea, I made some Zataran's Jambalaya with some leftover rib meat and some leftover chicken. It quick and easy and turned out pretty good.

I cut them up into 3" squares or so, and smoke them with the rest of the ribs.
Eat some, freeze some.
They are great deboned and cooked in a pot of pintos.
I like the Zatarans idea, I think I would like them in the dirty rice.

Oooooooh. I like that one. Smoked rib fried rice.:clap2:
I only thought of it because that's what I'm doing with my left-over smoked chicken tonight.:becky:

In my big CI skillet, adding:
oil
1/2 diced yellow onion
scrambling an egg in the oil and onion
sliced mushrooms
1 chopped green onion
1 tbs of this hot Vietnamese Garlic/chili sauce i have (it's more of a paste)
small pack of frozen peas (those single serve microwave ones)
the diced chicken
2 cups of cooked white rice
a shot or so of soy sauce
a tsp of poultry rub to season

BBQ Pork Enchiladas, BBQ Pork Pizza, Chef's snacks?
I always make them on the side while making ribs. I call them rib jerky! Makes for a nice snack during your cook. Sometimes I will trow them in a pot of beans on the smoker to go with the main course.

Back