Christmas Eve Standing Rib Roast (Pron)

teamwhidbey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Picked up this Rib Roast at Safeway...
price.jpg

Made a paste in the Magic Bullet with garlic and a little EVOO
ingredients.jpg

Here it is all spiced up..the paste, fresh cracked black pepper, kosher salt and some dried Rosemary (the store was out of fresh) :icon_smil
rubbed.jpg

Here it is in the FEC
smoker.jpg

And here it is after 4 hours at 250
4%20hours.jpg

I should have kept a closer eye on it at this point...next time I looked at the 5.5 hour mark, internal temp was at 135:shock: I wanted to get a crisper outer surface, so I cranked up the FEC to 424..I only let it stay in for about half an hour...was afraid I was going to ruin it.
cutting%20board.jpg

And here is a couple of sliced shots...I know, its a little over done for my liking too:icon_sad
sliced2.jpg

sliced.jpg

Lessons learned:
1. Keep an eye on internal temps
2. I had the hopper in the FEC filled with hickory, didn't have any mesquite. I had lots of cherry and apple pellets. Should have use them due to hickory really put alot of smoke flavor in the roast. Next time I'll ensure I have some mesquite available.
3. Would have liked to have fresh Rosemary, will hit the store up sooner next time.

Merry Christmas Brethren!

Hey teamwhidbey, do you compete? Are you familiar with the PNWBA?

Hey teamwhidbey, do you compete? Are you familiar with the PNWBA?

Haven't competed (yet):-D I am familiar with the PNWBA, I have thier webpage saved in my "favorites" folder, I check it out time to time to see if there are any updates (PRON).

Haven't competed (yet):-D I am familiar with the PNWBA, I have thier webpage saved in my "favorites" folder, I check it out time to time to see if there are any updates (PRON).

This is the place for PRON. The PNWBA is hibernating until our first contest in April next year at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. I would love to see you there and show you what competition BBQ is like.

This is the place for PRON. The PNWBA is hibernating until our first contest in April next year at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. I would love to see you there and show you what competition BBQ is like.

Hey, I'll remind you of that in April...would really like to get my feet wet.:icon_wink

Back