BoD Voting

Lets get on to why KCBS is losing money and 75K in the hole before it is gone.

A big reason was the start up expenses for the BBQ Tour (vehicle, trailer, etc.) However, I understand the $75K should be more than covered by the revenue raised from said tour.

How do you know that Jeff?
I've heard it will be announced in January at the banquet when MMA presents the KCBS with a check. I also heard that the tour has been very successful and that the amount will be substantial. Just how much we won't know until the banquet but numbers I've heard will more than cover startup costs.

This is another case of the BOD shooting themselves in the foot by not making an interim announcement of how well it is going. While I have many firends and others I respect on the BOD it's obvious they need some help in communications.

KCBS should have its own members only forum
Yea there would be work to do
But a lot of folks would join KCBS to get in there
A easy way to communicate

I've heard it will be announced in January at the banquet when MMA presents the KCBS with a check. I also heard that the tour has been very successful and that the amount will be substantial. Just how much we won't know until the banquet but numbers I've heard will more than cover startup costs.

This is another case of the BOD shooting themselves in the foot by not making an interim announcement of how well it is going. While I have many firends and others I respect on the BOD it's obvious they need some help in communications.

Yeah, they communicate through the good old boy network just like always. Seems a lot of people have heard stuff and I've heard some numbers tossed around but unless you have one of the good old boys telling you, there's no communication.

Yeah, they communicate through the good old boy network just like always. Seems a lot of people have heard stuff and I've heard some numbers tossed around but unless you have one of the good old boys telling you, there's no communication.

I guess if your not on the BOD you get more information. I just received an estimate of the proceeds Monday. You guys have more information that the BOD does. Could you please share it with us, so that the BOD can feel informed.

Who gives out this information. I want to know who to talk to.

Merl

Interesting read on the voting for the board.

The following members voted "YES" more than 90 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up :
Carol, Merl, Gene, & Don.

The following members voted "NO" more than 90 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Wayne, Steve & Rod (until he resigned).

The following members voted "YES" more than 50 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Linda

The following members voted "NO" more than 50 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Tana

The following members voted "NO" or "ABSTAINED" more than 75 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Ed, Paul

The following members voted "NO" 100 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up when he had the opportunity to vote:
Mike

KCBS should have its own members only forum
Yea there would be work to do
But a lot of folks would join KCBS to get in there
A easy way to communicate

yes, Yes, YES!

I have had this opinion from the very first time I stumbled on the KCBS site. I understand there is a history between Ray Basso and KCBS, but the time is long past due to provide the membership with a modern, full-featured forum operated under the official auspices of KCBS.

Every other venue (including this board) operates under the moderation of third parties with their own motivations and agendas. An online forum controlled directly by KCBS, be it by BoD, Staff or Committee is the best method to supply trusted and true real time information to the membership at large, wherever they may live.

I think everyone will agree that KCBS.us has been vastly improved since MMA re-imagined it. Adding a members forum should be high on the To-Do List for 2010.

KCBS.us has been vastly improved since MMA re-imagined it. QUOTE said:
Exactly what did they re=imagined and what did it cost? Inquiring minds wish to know:confused:

Interesting read on the voting for the board.

The following members voted "YES" more than 90 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up :
Carol, Merl, Gene, & Don.

The following members voted "NO" more than 90 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Wayne, Steve & Rod (until he resigned).

The following members voted "YES" more than 50 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Linda

The following members voted "NO" more than 50 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Tana

The following members voted "NO" or "ABSTAINED" more than 75 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up:
Ed, Paul

The following members voted "NO" 100 percent of the time on a majority of the contested issues that came up when he had the opportunity to vote:
Mike

That is EXCELLENT information. Thank you for putting that together. Can you please explain what 'majority of the contested issues' means?

Great work!

Eric

Regardless of whether or not I agree with Mike, at least he is in there voting. Do you happen to have the amount of times that Paul abstained handy? With repeated 'no reports' I would be very sorry to hear that he also abstains disproportionately.

Eric

Honestly, what does this tell you? So someone voted yes or no a certain percentage of the time. It's what those issues were that makes it important how they voted, not just that they voted one way or another.

Honestly, what does this tell you? So someone voted yes or no a certain percentage of the time. It's what those issues were that makes it important how they voted, not just that they voted one way or another.

I think it means that in most situations, the lines were drawn before the vote even occurred.

When I read it, it appeared that Merl made a majority of the motions and from the stats provided above, 90% of the time the same group voted yes and the other group voted no. I sure would like to know the context of some of those discussions and votes.

yes, Yes, YES!

I have had this opinion from the very first time I stumbled on the KCBS site. I understand there is a history between Ray Basso and KCBS, but the time is long past due to provide the membership with a modern, full-featured forum operated under the official auspices of KCBS.

Every other venue (including this board) operates under the moderation of third parties with their own motivations and agendas. An online forum controlled directly by KCBS, be it by BoD, Staff or Committee is the best method to supply trusted and true real time information to the membership at large, wherever they may live.

I think everyone will agree that KCBS.us has been vastly improved since MMA re-imagined it. Adding a members forum should be high on the To-Do List for 2010.

Well maybe when the new BoD takes office we can make some progress on this

KCBS.us has been vastly improved since MMA re-imagined it. QUOTE said:
Exactly what did they re=imagined and what did it cost? Inquiring minds wish to know:confused:

You'd have to ask Mike about the costs - the Website redesign was part of the package deal of services in the contract between MMA and KCBS.

Maybe you never saw the old site, but frankly it was embarrassing. There was practically no useful content for members and it looked like a middle-school student project, not a portal for the world's largest cook-off sanctioning organization. I'm not claiming the site is perfect now, but the improvement over what we used to have is dramatic.

Kind of disrespectful Gowan. You weren't there when I had to wrestle the website away from an old guard board member after he told us he actually owned it instead of us. I think the last version was a whole lot better than what we would have had if I hadn't taken all those lumps. Believe me, they weren't going to spend any money on it at that time and Garry Howard and I did a pretty good job given the circumstances.

Maybe you never saw the old site, but frankly it was embarrassing. There was practically no useful content for members and it looked like a middle-school student project, not a portal for the world's largest cook-off sanctioning organization. I'm not claiming the site is perfect now, but the improvement over what we used to have is dramatic.

Kind of disrespectful Gowan. You weren't there when I had to wrestle the website away from an old guard board member after he told us he actually owned it instead of us. I think the last version was a whole lot better than what we would have had if I hadn't taken all those lumps. Believe me, they weren't going to spend any money on it at that time and Garry Howard and I did a pretty good job given the circumstances.

Not at all Ray.

Like thousands of other visitors to KCBS.US, I had no knowledge of any drama behind the scenes. Therefore my comments have nothing to do with personalities. Rather, I'm related an honest opinion of the product itself. (True blind judging in the KCBS tradition!) If you say the site was even worse circa pre-2005 I believe you. That doesn't change the fact that prior to MMA taking over the project our organization's Web presence was far from professional by 21st century standards.

That is EXCELLENT information. Thank you for putting that together. Can you please explain what 'majority of the contested issues' means?

Great work!

Eric

By contested vote I used only thoes votes that were not unaminous and appeared to have a difference of opinion on issues. The only correlation that I was drawing was "there appear to be two camps on the board and any vote hinges on Linda and Tana." Just my observations and a little excel time.

The abstentions were for issues in which the parties were involved and appeared to be very legitimate. ie. pay for instructor at CBJ class, free ads on the web site, etc. I just found it odd that Ed made the motion for the CBJ pay and then had to abstain because it affects him. Food for the Winter grist mill.

Back