Brine in metal pot?

C

CB

I got a question from a reader about using a standard stock pot for brining. Says he "always heard" that one shouldn't use metal for this purpose.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer - so maybe I missed something in chemistry class - but I'd never heard of this before. Of course cast iron or aluminum would be out - right? - but why not use a large Revere Ware type stainless steel stock pot?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I always use GLASS. I would not use plastic either cause of pte's. but never use metal

Quote: of course, if you dont get dinner squirrel, you're been outsmarted by a rodent.

I've always heard not to use metal. But I do use clean five gal buckets for it. Would the salt in the brine cause a nasty reaction with aluminum??

Would the salt in the brine cause a nasty reaction with aluminum??

I'm thinking the salt and the dash of vinegar I sometimes use would be problematic with bare metal like aluminum - but never been afraid of stainless steel. You know, one of the standard True Value Revere Ware stock pots...not one of the fancy ones. (I never could understand why someone needs a $300 Calphalon stock pot in which to boil water.)

A "non reactive" vessel is usually recommended for brining. Aluminum is out. Cast Iron too. I use stainless steel. Plastic meat lugs for seasoning sausage.

I use a plastic pail made for cooking stainless steel. Stainless Steel for about 50 years now I think it might be ok.

thanks all - good to have some folks to go to when something is in question.

Back