View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
You are correct in that it takes time. You need to feed it regularly, as well as throw away or use some before feeding. I only Bake every 3 days on average so I always leave my starter in the fridge and only use it as a flavor enhancer and not the leaven, that is why I use instant yeast with it. First tho you must correctly make it, so here is the best way.

http://youtu.be/5F86r7ByDFM
THANK YOU!

Now....if you are not using the starter as the leaven (which you say you aren't, right?) then do you still do the float test and all?

Also....when he first fed it in the video, he removed 1/2. He also mentioned to remove some (most) and add cold water and flour to retard the growth especially if you're not going to bake often. When you remove these portions, do you just pitch them I assume? The purpose is to only keep about the same amount of starter, so you're feeding the yeast in the portion that remains and the removal of the other portions is just to keep the same volume of starter during growth/development?

Thanks from:--->