Not getting enough flavor in brisket

F

Flavor Dave

What is the secret for cooking an award winning or even placing with brisket. I have won or placed in all other catagories except brisket. I just can't seem to get the flavor into it. A little help please!!

Beef broth and magic dust in an injection!

Seriously, we use beef broth, Fab B, and some fruit juice along with a touch of salt and sugar to blend up an injection.

I just don't get the whole injecting thing.
Why not jab it full of lobster juice and try to make it taste like lobster.
That should make some of them judges happy as hell!

Sorry...............

bbqjoe said:

Sorry...............

Well it's like this Joe. It's competition bbq. A judge isn't going to eat a plate full of our brisket. They're only going to take a bite or two. We have to wow them with that. We have to stand above any brisket they have ever tatsted and we need to do it with that one bite. It's the nature of the game.

Steve

Joe, I can just imagine getting a nice 20 in Beef. The judges looking at it, then tasting ".... DQ!!!!! Lobster, just cuz you put a bark on it, you can't call it brisket...."

I guess the question to inject or not to inject? comes down to it is better to inject. I tried it once but still thought our regular brisket was better. We used CAB Prime Gold Brisket at Hudson Valley and placed lower than expected ( I still think that ours was moist and tasted pretty darn good). I judged twice this summer and could tell those entries that were injected. They were noticable but the moisture content was higher. I guess that is the point. Still learning.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

P.S. Ted Lorsen of QHaven is going to the Jack Daniels Invitational. We are proud of our CT Brethren! Way to go!!

i always did better without injecting.. A HIGH(overwhelming) strong flavored marinade always worked better for me.

flavor dave.. What are you doing?? just rubbing, any marinading, what type of rub(low or high sugar)? Are you doing anything to add a flavor burst at the end... like dumping honey, or sugar or extra rub on it at the end of the cook? There are many techniques to infuse additional flavors, or stronger flavors..

Tell us what you do, so we can tell what possibly can be changed or improved on.

Flavor Dave said:
What is the secret for cooking an award winning or even placing with brisket. I have won or placed in all other catagories except brisket. I just can't seem to get the flavor into it. A little help please!!
gotta agree with yankeebbq..Fab B...
no matter how good we thought our brisket was..we did not get much calls until we started using Fab B ...the judges seem to like it

Flavor Dave said:

Do you rest your cooked brisket for a couple of hours wrapped in foil? Try about a cup of flavorful marinade like Head Country during that step. As the brisket juices redistribute, the marinade will penetrate and boost flavor.

Chris

BBQchef, I rub it down with a dry rub, cook it for around 5 hrs @250/275, add more rub and cover it (foil), cook another 5 hrs and it's done. Cut off a piece with the same result. TASTE LIKE UNFLAVORED MEAT!!!

I was told at the Royal by a pretty successful cook that the "silver skin" on the top surface of the meat needs to all be removed so that the flavor can get into the muscle. Seems to make sense unless the silver skin stuff cooks off. I plan to mess around with that a bit because I've had some really good tasting roast beef at comps lately. :roll:

Jeff that is why we trim ours if you don't want to trim it off just score it real good does the same thing but not as good

I ijected a few times this summer, but like my old way better. i use a jaccard on the top and bottom of the brisket, then marinade in a strong marinade for a few hours at least. I also add the rub that im using to the marinade. once marinading is done, i add a vERY HEAVY dose of the rub and turbinado sugar and cook around 250.

Towards the end, ususlly when its in that 'stuck zone', I add more rub, turbinado sugar, Drizzle with Honey(or some sauce,... my latest was apple butter which worked awesome, but pissed off my kids cause i used it all up) and a healthy spray of apple juice. foil it and finish in the pit, then remove it and let rest of a few hours in a dry cooler.

I never had a tasteless brisket doing it that way..

and i just made myselff hungry typing that.

bbqjoe said:

Sorry...............

Amen. I think it should be banned from competition. WOW me by being a purist and cook it without the help of chemicals.

Sledneck said:
Amen. I think it should be banned from competition. WOW me by being a purist and cook it without the help of chemicals.

Interesting concept.
Maybe we should ban all spices, rubs, marinates, brines, flavor woods, and meat graded higher than Select.
One wood for the fire and plain meat.
May the best team win.

Purist?

TIM

Back