• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How many UDS's do you own?

slammmed

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I finally got a lead on 55 gallon, unlined, steel drums for $20 each. I've been looking for a while and was thinking about picking 2. Considering how everyone seems to love them it seems it might be worth it if the consensus is they end up with multiple down the road. I planned on one day competing and I figured I need at least two smokers but maybe my 18" WSM and 1 UDS will be enough.

Enough? Not sure what that means.

I'd grab 'em both - if you don't have a use for the other one, I'm sure you'll know someone who will.

So I finally got a lead on 55 gallon, unlined, steel drums for $20 each. I've been looking for a while and was thinking about picking 2. Considering how everyone seems to love them it seems it might be worth it if the consensus is they end up with multiple down the road. I planned on one day competing and I figured I need at least two smokers but maybe my 18" WSM and 1 UDS will be enough.
:crazy::tsk: For that amount you should get as many as possible, build them for friends,neighbors, etc...

I was thinking the same thing. Gave custody of my offset to my brother when we moved. I've had the 55 for a month and loving it. Personally I'm prob gonna pull the trigger on another UDS. The WSM was great for me, just love the drum. Hangin' the meat and the pit taste brings me back to the shacks and dives my dad brought me to as a kid.

I have 3 right now... over the years I've built 23 UDS's. I have number 24 in the shed just waiting for me to get started on her.

I built two. Sold one to pay part of the cost of the one I kept.
I had some people over smoked two butts and that one sold that day.

The proud new owner was skeptical until he watched the smoke and watched the temp hang at 275° for about 10 hrs.
He talked like he was going to build one, but before he left that night,
I dumped the coals into my fire pit, let it cool a bit then we set it in the bed of his Chevy truck.
I have my eye on a new stainless steel drum at Buckner Barrel about 40 miles from my house. If I do that build, I'll sell my current UDS.

I've got one and a half. One true UDS and one Pit Barrel which I count as a half of a UDS.

For $20 each, scoop up has many as you can. Worst case scenario you spend $50-$100 turning them into a UDS and then flip them on CL for $150 or $200. Or just use a couple for burn barrels..

I have two. And, my teammate has one. Absolutely love them. Get as many as you can

Yep. You're not gonna beat that price for clean unlined barrels. You'd be backing up if you didn't grab both, IMO.

I have 3 of them. You should get at least 2 to 3 barrels at least. Build the first one KISS method like Narcoredneck illustrated. The other ones, you can PIMP out to your hearts desire. With all the bells and whistles you can think of.

I gotta big'un....

cooking4.jpg

and a lil'un...

rust_n_d_rustic8-1.jpg

and I have a spare drum in reserve.....you know, just in case...

I was thinking the same thing. Gave custody of my offset to my brother when we moved. I've had the 55 for a month and loving it. Personally I'm prob gonna pull the trigger on another UDS. The WSM was great for me, just love the drum. Hangin' the meat and the pit taste brings me back to the shacks and dives my dad brought me to as a kid.

hanging you say? you mean like a PBC?

@ N8man, those are amazing looking cookers! :clap:

Someone is going to, so I'll be the first idjit to say it, I have 0 (zero) UDSs. :wacko:

I have 2 WSMs, close enough. :razz:

@ N8man, those are amazing looking cookers! :clap:

Someone is going to, so I'll be the first idjit to say it, I have 0 (zero) UDSs. :wacko:

I have 2 WSMs, close enough. :razz:

Do you find yourself using he 22" wsm more?

Have one complete and two in the works. The complete one was basic. These next two will be experiments. Buy a few for that price.

For longer smokes I use the UDS. The WSM don't get as much use as it used to. I can do more with the UDS. I'm hooked.

Last edited:
Back