Backyard/pro question

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If you have been cooking BY and want to try the pro division and don't do good can you go back to backyard?

Yes. There is nothing that prevents you from competing in the backyard divisions after doing sanctioned events.

On the other hand, most teams are bad when they start. Stick with it for a while, even if you do poorly. We were bad when we started . We still aren't an elite team, but heading to the Royal, SAMs National, and The Jack this year. Who knows where it could take you?

If what you want to do is go back to "backyard" cooking after cooking "pro" for a while, I'd make sure before I tried to do so that the contest I'm looking at participating in doesn't have a problem with it - many contests frown on that sort of thing, and there's nothing preventing an organizer from making a rule about that for their contest. True, I've know plenty of contests that don't care one way or the other, but in going back to "backyard" after cooking "pro" you are likely to earn the disdain of many other cookers - many of whom have been where you are and wondered the same things you are. But I have to agree with Chris - stick with it & watch where it takes you!!

Lynn H.

Honestly I think cooking in the pro divisions are the best way to improve your product. BY doesn't always have CBJs so you may not be getting accurate feedback. At least you have a standard to strive for.

Depending on the situation, it may be allowed, but I can tell you with confidence that even if you don't place all that well after you move up, that cooking the backyard division will probably not do it for you anymore.

Yes. There is nothing that prevents you from competing in the backyard divisions after doing sanctioned events.

Not true.

Some backyard events do not allow anyone to participate who has cooked Pro - the Shadetree division at The Jack is the most well-known example.

Yea, I am for sure not ready for pro but there is a kcbs comp here close and was just wanting to try It just once for now. Who knows, like some have mentioned I might like it and stay. I just want to know I can go back to BY if I don't

Yea, I am for sure not ready for pro but there is a kcbs comp here close and was just wanting to try It just once for now. Who knows, like some have mentioned I might like it and stay. I just want to know I can go back to BY if I don't

Sure you can but if you go back to backyard and win just be prepared for some of the whiners complaining that your a pro team. They'll probably complain to the organizer too.

go for it. if you like it and time , money and family or friends are there that is all it is about . it is just bbq . alot of people can't dedicate 2 days for a contest every weekend or 500.00 -700.00 every contest. cook any contest that you fill comfortable cooking . with rules that are in play. good luck

I'm not far from you at all. Let me know if you have any questions. We are by no means a top tier team, but we hold our own and have learned a ton of stuff.

We are in the same boat. And alas most backyard comps around here will not let you in even if you have only been in one Pro event.

I'd rather the organizers charge 75% of the Pro entry fee, make 3 meats mandatory and had a maximum purse of $1,000 for Backyard contests.

It's almost comical to go to a contest and see a "Backyard" team with a 32' MBN type trailer with two huge cabinet smokers, 12' stainless steel counterop/bar, 37 monogramed folding chairs, bar stools, TV and Fridge or a "Backyard" team roll in with a 35' Toy hauler.

What are they there for?? Their minimum expense for the weekend is twice the maximum payout they can attain. Plus, it's not their first contest. No, it's not about the money as much as it's not their first few contests. You don't buy all that stuff before you've got your feet wet a few times.

My question is this- If you cook more than 2 backyard contests.... Why?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your answer.

Are you saying that you can spend $450 to compete in a backyard contest where the purse is $1500, but can't spend $600 to compete in a Pro contest where the purse might be $10,000?

I've never spent $450 for a backyard comp. Too expensive for my budget. More like $250-300, which is a huge gap from $600. Most pro teams I know spend more than that for comps, regardless of the possible purse amount.

I'd rather the organizers charge 75% of the Pro entry fee, make 3 meats mandatory and had a maximum purse of $1,000 for Backyard contests.

It's almost comical to go to a contest and see a "Backyard" team with a 32' MBN type trailer with two huge cabinet smokers, 12' stainless steel counterop/bar, 37 monogramed folding chairs, bar stools, TV and Fridge or a "Backyard" team roll in with a 35' Toy hauler.

What are they there for?? Their minimum expense for the weekend is twice the maximum payout they can attain. Plus, it's not their first contest. No, it's not about the money as much as it's not their first few contests. You don't buy all that stuff before you've got your feet wet a few times.

My question is this- If you cook more than 2 backyard contests.... Why?

I went to Pigs and Peaches in my 20' Vending trailer and competed in Backyard(10th overall). I had a Stumps Stretch and a Traeger 100 on the back porch. Does that make me a pro? I have never done a pro event and have only cooked in about 7 backyard comps in about eight years. I cooked my first pro event in Winder GA (this year) only because that was the only way they would let me vend (19th Overall). You stated its not their first contest if someone comes in with a lot of equipment. My question to you is how do you know it's not their first comp? How do you know it's not a new team that has a BBQ Joint, vends, or knows a person that has a store and wants free advertisement? The team that was beside us two years ago had 5 XL Eggs with them. His brother sells them and let them use them for the advertisement. The guy behind us in Kennesaw rolled up in a huge 40' trailer with plasma screen and 3 smokers. But he got it all from the man that he worked for. He didn't do well at all in the comp. And it was his first one. It's not trying to get over on the backyard guys or the pros, its knowing your place and your BBQ ability. It's just too easy to judge a book by the cover. Rant over!!!!

> It's almost comical to go to a contest and see a "Backyard" team with a 32' MBN type trailer with two huge cabinet smokers, 12' stainless steel counterop/bar, 37 monogramed folding chairs, bar stools, TV and Fridge or a "Backyard" team roll in with a 35' Toy hauler.

I dont know. I had my 30' RV 8 years before we competed in our first BBQ competition. I know many people who just "roll" this way. For that matter, I cooked in a few MBN contests. Trust me, 32' competition trailers dont win; great Q wins, and it can be done with a few EZ Up tents...

> I'd rather the organizers charge 75% of the Pro entry fee, make 3 meats mandatory and had a maximum purse of $1,000 for Backyard contests.

I think the whole idea of "Backyard" vs. "Pro" is silly to me. There are accomplished competitors, some not quite as accomplished, and rookies. There are sanctioned contests, and unsanctioned contests. I dont know. It was just never my style. I never understood why anyone would want to compete if not competing against the very best. I'd like to see the whole concept go away. Enter in the sanctioned contest, or be spectator.

Back