Regional Difficulty Level

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know that this might spark some defensive commentary about a home region, but that's not what's intended.

Do you believe that there is an area that is more difficult to compete in than another?

Is there an area that is notorious for having stiff competition or tough judges?

Thanks,

Eric

Chicken. I hate that farkin skin!

Oh wait, you meant geographic location.....:oops:

i think so, example...look at how some of the big boys travel away from the KC area for the sams club contest...

if you look at the 180's club on KCBS site, there's only one from the northeast in the last 3 years.

up here teams can GC with a 650, whereas in other parts of the country that'd get you middle of the pack most of the time. i think judges are tough up here.

On a contest by contest basis, does the "harshness of judges" (whatever that may actually mean) even matter? It seems the only thing that would make one area harder is if the quality of the cooking teams was better. Now how do you measure that?

In looking at pictures of boxes that are posted here and on Facebook, I have seen boxes from various parts of the country that scored very well (top 5, and it a couple of cases also scored a 180) that I know would have been scored much lower around here. That doesn't take anything away from the teams who turned in those boxes. They were the among best that the judges saw that day. But, it does make me wonder how our boxes would score in those areas :-D

Are you talking about difficulty of winning a GC? I'd have to put any major Midwest contest on your list, especially those in eastern KS, western MO, eastern NE, IA, & Southern MN. When you look at a list of competitors from that area, it's typically a who's who of BBQ stalwarts. Off the top of my head... Pork Pullin' Plowboys, Tippeycanoe BBQ, Munchin Hogs, Pellet Envy, Big Tz, Swine Assassins, Iowa's Smokey D's, etc.

The depth of competition may vary from region to region, but I think you're always going to have a handful of tough competitors no matter where you go. Especially since many of the big guys travel around the U.S. shooting for a Jack Draw. Johnny Trigg is all over, Quau hits several states, Butcher BBQ, 4 Legs Up covers a lot of ground, Buffalos, etc.

In regards to scores, I think the judging pool can vary from week to week. Here in Colorado, winning scores can vary from 660 to 685 on any given week. However, regardless of that, the top teams still seem to win. It's not a matter of skewed scoring for any particular entry... it seems everyone gets a fair shake albeit the overall scores may be lower than what is expected from time to time.

I think scores vary from region to region. Whether it's because of different CBJ instructers...I don't know. Last year I got a GC with a 635.:icon_blush: At another comp a 693 got me 5th overall.:shock:

I agree with Kapn Kev. Midwest is very, very tough with teams and judges.

While it's true the big boys seem to avoid the Midwest Sam's, it may also be a result of the difficulty getting into them...so many teams trying to register. No question though, the big boys know how to cherry pick here and there....

With classes, growth in competitors, etc. EVERYWHERE is tough !.. no contest is easy, and I think 'bottom feeding' is extinct.

this is right on the money..a "1st year team" could take a couple of classes buy high end cookers , read Chris Harts book and walk into their 1st comp and win. So much info is out there that every comp is up in the air.

With classes, growth in competitors, etc. EVERYWHERE is tough !.. no contest is easy, and I think 'bottom feeding' is extinct.

I came in here to post this. Agree 100%

Midwest/Oklahoma over the years has been pretty stiff competiton, between Lotta Bull, Butchers, Little Pig Town, Boys from Tornado Alley (Twin Oaks and Buffalo) and others all living in Oklahoma, then we are a good cross roads state, so lots of people nearby come through...

I'm sure it goes in cycles with who's hot.

I probably travel to different regions more than most folks. And Podge is right, there aren't any easy regions. Folks get too wrapped up with 'big boys'. There are a lot of bad asses that don't leave their regions for whatever reason and folks outside of that region will never have heard of these teams. Now is scoring different? Yes in a big way. Higher scores come out of the Kansas region. Why? Probably because of more experienced judges. But the major thing that folks need to remember. Good BBQ is good BBQ no matter what region you are cooking.

no love for the dirty-dirty...

i think that the I-75 corridor through Kentucky, Tenn, GA, and Florida brings plenty of competition.

Back