Craigslist Thread

GC8

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm a n00b to Webers/smokers/grills/etc but have been consistently browsing Craigslist for some good finds. Problem is, I don't know a good price when I see one...unless it's free of course!

With that being said, I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread to Craigslist finds or Craigslist questions that people have. Every day, I see a potential purchase but have no idea if it's worth the asking price.

I'll start with a post that I've seen renewed a few times. Smokey Joes for $15. Worth it?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/3874698483.html

I'm a n00b to Webers/smokers/grills/etc but have been consistently browsing Craigslist for some good finds. Problem is, I don't know a good price when I see one...unless it's free of course!

With that being said, I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread to Craigslist finds or Craigslist questions that people have. Every day, I see a potential purchase but have no idea if it's worth the asking price.

I'll start with a post that I've seen renewed a few times. Smokey Joes for $15. Worth it?

New WSJ's are $30, so worth it? That depends on you, but it is 1/2 price. I bought one a few weeks back for $5. Listed at $10, would've paid $10, but never hurts to ask :)

If they are complete and don't need new grates that is a good price. I think new they are about $40. On CL I if I can't get it for half or less then it is not worth my time. Usually the post is pumping up the product and it is not as good as they claim. NIB(new in box), I may break this rule.

If you see something on CL or eBay, etc. that you have a question about, ask it here in Q-Talk. If you see something on CL, eBay, etc. that you just want the gang to know about, post that in General For Sale.

That picture is a joke, but it looks like an old Bar-b-Q Kettle, probably pre- 1979, most likely older. Here is the Weber date code breakdown...

http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/

It will cook just fine but I suspect that the price is inflated some because of the age. I see Weber kettles around here for under $50 all of the time. If you're not in a hurry, look for a 22.5" One Touch Gold in good shape. You can probably get one for $75 or less if you are patient. The ash catcher on the OTG is worth the extra money.

Craigslist ads seem to come in spurts. I am in the OP's region and I often check craigslist for deals. Last year I picked up a Weber Summit gasser for $350. It is an incredible grill and I have enjoyed restoring it to almost new. I see black OTS weber kettles all the time on the Minneapolis listings. My target for them would be around $25. For a OTG I would shoot for $50. For a Performer my target would be $90-100. For a WSM my goal would be $150. Of course this is presuming good condition. I see a huge range in prices for old Genesis gassers. If you follow a few clean up threads here or on the Virtual Weber Bullet you can get a deal on one for under $100 and for another $50 in parts and some cleaning and a little labor you can have a nice gasser. I found a 2 burner Genesis Silver A with all stainless internals for a buddy for $70. Nothing was needed as far as repairs and he got his ideal grill for his type of cooking. Once in awhile you will find something rare like the yellow you posted. I think there was a 70's brown 26er the other day for $175. Standard pricing may go out the window for a truly rare one.

Craigslist ads seem to come in spurts. I am in the OP's region and I often check craigslist for deals. Last year I picked up a Weber Summit gasser for $350. It is an incredible grill and I have enjoyed restoring it to almost new. I see black OTS weber kettles all the time on the Minneapolis listings. My target for them would be around $25. For a OTG I would shoot for $50. For a Performer my target would be $90-100. For a WSM my goal would be $150. Of course this is presuming good condition. I see a huge range in prices for old Genesis gassers. If you follow a few clean up threads here or on the Virtual Weber Bullet you can get a deal on one for under $100 and for another $50 in parts and some cleaning and a little labor you can have a nice gasser. I found a 2 burner Genesis Silver A with all stainless internals for a buddy for $70. Nothing was needed as far as repairs and he got his ideal grill for his type of cooking. Once in awhile you will find something rare like the yellow you posted. I think there was a 70's brown 26er the other day for $175. Standard pricing may go out the window for a truly rare one.

This is a good guide...I'll keep it in mind.

I'm going to look at a couple basic 24" Weber today. Seller wants $40 for both or $25 for one. I'll probably use one for my next UDS build, might keep the other around for personal use since I do most of my quick cooks on a gasser.

My question: is $40 a good asking price for 2 webers?

Try setting up a search using ifttt.com for Weber Grill on Craig's List. You can set it up to send you an e-mail or text when a match comes up.

Cool, nice tip. Let's keep the Craigslist finds/questions coming!

I'd happily pay $15 for the Weber "Tuck and Carry" w/ the wood handle...

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up. While I'm in here though...I've found another little gem. What do you guys think? I've requested bigger/better pics but I just know I don't see these around very often. I'll obviously offer him less since that's how the game is played :p

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/for/3884726310.html

...and to me, if that really is a yellow Weber, $50 is not a bad price at all. Just my opinion, though. I like the older grills...

Haven't heard a response on the yellow grill yet, so I'm calling it a loss at this point. Back to the search!

I'd happily pay $15 for the Weber "Tuck and Carry" w/ the wood handle...

Ok, so that link in the first post, with the three Smokey Joes, keeps popping back up on Craigslist. It's been bumped to the top maybe three or four times, so I'll take that to mean I can offer less than $15 and hopefully walk away with a deal.

What is the "Tuck & Carry"

Ok, so that link in the first post, with the three Smokey Joes, keeps popping back up on Craigslist. It's been bumped to the top maybe three or four times, so I'll take that to mean I can offer less than $15 and hopefully walk away with a deal.

What is the "Tuck & Carry"

The "Tuck and Carry" was the original name for the Smokey Joe Gold...

Question that has bothered me for some time - why are Webers listed as Webbers? With cameras I understand Cannon for Canon, but why the extra B??:confused:

Just picked this up today for $8...not too bad I suppose.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Back