What to cook for Sunday Dinner when low on cash??

Both my parents worked two jobs growing up, so my mom would throw this together quick in between shifts:

Macaroni soup

1 bottle tomato juice
1 bottle V8
1 lb hamburg
1 clove of garlic, minced
Italian seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
1 large onion, sliced
Elbow macaroni

Sauté the hamburg, onion and garlic. *Add some worcestershire sauce *
Add both bottles of juice and bring to a boil. Add italian seasoning. *Add some macaroni and cook until done.*

Assuming you have some on hand, it would be well under $20. It goes great with some crusty bread.

Also, when she had time, she'd make meatballs rather than hamburg, and add green beans and potatoes, and called it meatball stew.

So BigBrandon, what did you end up cooking for Sunday dinner?

Chicken leg & thighs.
cook that skin to a crisp & brush some wonderful BBQ sauce. ready in 30 mins.

The first thing that pops into my mind would be to use part of the $20 and buy enough bacon to make a couple of bacon wrapped meatloaves. Those are usually pretty easy and very tasty.

get a box of rice a roni spanish rice & a can of crushed tomatoes
prepare rice according to directions, when you add the water toss in around 2lbs of browned hamburger, cook it down to desired thickness.
I like some bread and butter on the side

BigBrandon is one poor bastige...can't even afford to post!:shock:

No doubt, right?

Uhhh....Brandon? Did you ever decide? Didn't pass out and starve to death while considering did you????

If you're still thinking, my vote is smoked meatloaf. I LOVE smoked meatloaf. Meatloaf with mashed taters, steamed frozen peas, cottage cheese.....WIN!

My chili is expensive to make. DAM GOOD, but sure costs me more than $20.

No doubt, right?

Uhhh....Brandon? Did you ever decide? Didn't pass out and starve to death while considering did you????

If you're still thinking, my vote is smoked meatloaf. I LOVE smoked meatloaf. Meatloaf with mashed taters, steamed frozen peas, cottage cheese.....WIN!

My chili is expensive to make. DAM GOOD, but sure costs me more than $20.
LOL,yeah sorry about not gettin back sooner,I did decide and I decided on making taco's.I got to lookin through my fridge and pantry and found flour tortilla shells,a few packs of taco seasoning and a onion,so all I had to pick up was cheese,guacamole,lettuce,rice and beans (I even spang for a .99 cent can of enchilada sauce :mrgreen:).

It was far from gourmet but way better than any fast food,I owe you guys some PRON next time,this weekend im thinkin apple smoked spares and homemade tater salad.As long as the weather permits thats my plan.

Maaaan,no reply??Just to check in,I went and got the stuff to smoke....... pork steaks,chicken wings and the stuff to make tater salad this weekend.Ill post PRON!!!

Back