ABT Question/ideas

S

smknhotmama

I have posted probably 50 times in regards to ABTs...what can I say..they intrigue me. So let’s beat a dead horse for a few…humor me.:tongue:
When I was in Jacksonville, FL last week I went to a tex-mex sorta place called Cantina Laredo. It's a chain of sorts (think the PF Changs of tex-mex).
Anyway the food was definitely edible and I had their version of a popper. It was HUGE...basically the size of a goose egg! It was half a jap stuffed with a surprisingly tiny bit of cheese but mostly shredded chicken. Covered in I believe panko and deep fried. Very good but I'd love to figure it out on the grill/smoker. Anyone been there...tried something similar to it...What are your thoughts and ideas on it?

You sure that's not chile rellenos? I don't like the idea of bread or breading in the smoker. I like a light smoke flavor and can be off-put but something that woudl take on too much. I think a 'baked' breaded chile rellenos dish done in the smoker would be too much for me.

Perhaps stuff the chile and smoke it, then take it out bread/batter it and deep-fry it... now we're talking.

Oh I should have clarified, The bread crumbs were my least favorite part, I'd love to figure it out w/out them. I remember the menu specifically said jalapeno. I was thinning maybe smoked pulled chicken and then POSSIBLY (most likely not) breading and deep frying.
I did a quick google and didn't come up with anything really..

Oh OK, so I found this...I am slightly confused about the assembly but the combo of flavors going on here sound great!

**From- http://agblog.ok.gov/2009/07/22/mio-recipe-of-the-week-chicken-jalapeno-poppers/

1 lb. JC Potter Regular Sausage
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
10 jalapenos
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 lb. bacon
Head Country BBQ Sauce
Toothpicks, soaked in water
Directions:
1. Brown sausage in a skillet on medium heat. Set aside.
2. Remove the stem from the jalapenos and cut them in half lengthwise. Clean out the seeds. Cut each in half lengthwise again. Set aside.
3. Open the cream cheese and cut into 6 equal portions. Set aside.
4. Open the bacon package and set aside.
5. Butterfly the chicken breasts. Do this by first laying the chicken breast flat on the cutting board. Holding the knife parallel to the cutting board, slice down the length of the chicken breast. Stop cutting about ¼ inch from the other edge. Open the chicken breast like a book. Do this to all chicken breasts.
6. To assemble the Chicken Jalapeno Poppers, first lay 2 slices of bacon across the cutting board about an inch apart. Lay butter-flied chicken on top of bacon. Spread one portion of cream cheese on the chicken breast. Put sausage on one side of the chicken breast. Fold the chicken over the stuffing leaving the bacon on the cutting board. Put 3 slices of jalapenos on top of the chicken and fold the bacon over the chicken. Roll the chicken back over leaving the bacon on the other side of the cutting board. Put 3 more slices of jalapenos on this side of the chicken breast and fold the bacon over the jalapenos. Use the toothpicks to secure jalapenos and bacon to chicken.
7. Grill the Chicken Jalapeno Poppers for 10 minutes per side or until the meat reaches 160 degrees. Add BBQ sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking to both sides. Remove toothpicks before serving. Serves 6.

I would do chicken on the smoker rubbed with Cumin, Chili, Garlic, Onion, Cayenne. Pull/shred the chicken and add to a pot with a small can of crushed tomatoes (season with cumin, salt, pepper, chiles) and a small jar of capers (run your knife through them a few times for a rough dice).

Cool filling (fridge overnight). Mix some queso fresco into the fillling, stuff your peppers, and smoke until the peppers start to soften.

If required, batter/bread and deep fry.

Serve with guac and sour cream.

Back