• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New build, new build toy w/pic's

Great looking smoker Dave! You do nice work!

From the two seasoning burns it feels like it's going to hold temps fine in the 250*-350* range by adding splits every 2 hours. I'm a little surprised given the thin walls, but I have noticed we get a lot of radiant heat off that 5/16 baffle. But then, while I think it's thin from a builder's standpoint, it is heavier than a UDS or WSM so I'm sure it will cook fine. We will find out for sure this weekend.
Nice job! I was wondering how it would hold heat?

You described it perfectly, but this one was on a water well on some property friends purchased recently. My understanding is they don't go bad very often, but if the rubber blater does develop a leak like this one they are trashed. Found it laying in the woods near where it had been replaced with a new tank.
Mighty Fine Sir!

That is an expansion tank used in chill water and boiler applications in the HVAC plant applications. It's designed to contain a rubber blater that expands and contracts according to water temp to maintain a constant pressure within the closed loop system.

You and Your Son did one heck of a job on it. I may have to condemn one at one of my plants and call for instructions! ;D

LOVE IT!. thats awesome. is it charcoal based and then the splits go on top? or do you just light the splits?

thanks

Little bit of kindling and splits. I start the fire with splits trimmed down to about 2"x2"x18", get the coal bed hot then go with 2 full size splits every couple hours. This unit appears to hold temp so well we may need to stay with the smaller splits to have a smaller fire.

Damn Dude you got Skills - That was Freakin Amazing. I wish I had the gift to see a piece of crap and see in it what you did. That is unreal. :hail:

Yea, it's kind of an addiction. Almost every time I spot a tank laying around I'm thinkng "how would that work as a smoker"? - galvanized excepted!

I like it. One thing I might add is a tool to pull out the fire box. nice build.

Yep, we use about 3 feet of 3/8 rebar bend a 6" triangular handle welded back to the shaft at one end, bend a 2" 90* hook on the other end and sharpen the point. If you have a fire, you just gotta play with it!

Can I borrow that anytime soon? I promise not to return it. :razz:

Sorry, it has already moved on to Kyle's new home, way back in the woods near Wacahoota. He is donig his inagural cook now: SL spares, the tips/trim, ABT's and all the fixings. Just stopped on the way home and the cooker is rocking along at 230*-250* with a very small fire & clear exhaust. Looks like a couple of fist-sized hickory splits every hour or two is all its going to take. He will post later with pics & results.

Very nice build, you have too many cool toys...I mean tools.

To paraphrase, he who passes on the most toys/tools to kids who have the desire & skill to use them wins!

LOL that was funny, odd but funny! We are not only fans but a whole series of family graduates going back to class of '75 (me). With that much history, I would like to think we have the humility to acknowledge when we have our arses handed to us, but of course the arrogance that comes with kicking a little pretty frequently.

You and your son did a super job on this build, I hope it brings much enjoyment and some great Q. I have been eyeing that bender at harbor freight, now I can convince myself I really do need one. Go Noles!!!!!

It really works pretty neat, especially with smaller/thinner stock. I comes with round tubing dies 3/4"-2-1/2" and HF also sells a 1/2" square tubing die we used on this build. There is a company in Oregon called SWAG Offroad (they have a good websitr) that makes a whole series of custom dies. I have their universal round die and their 1" square tubing die. I bought it to make plant hangers for my wife.

You and your son did a super job on this build, I hope it brings much enjoyment and some great Q. I have been eyeing that bender at harbor freight, now I can convince myself I really do need one. Go Noles!!!!!

Great seeing a bit of craftmanship, and always enjoy see the build. Well done on a great job.

Back