Rubs and Sauce

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Wondering the process that those of you who compete use in finding the flavor profiles for each of the meat categories. I've seen individuals use one rub exclusively, and then I know others who use certain rub(s) for each category combined with others example I really like The Slabs rubs combined with others like the Slabs Chicken Rub and Plowboys Yardbird.

Just wondering what the opinions of those here use, how you come to the conclusion what to use and what you have found that works. I ask because I'm in the middle of writing an article for my blog on the subject.
For me I look for flavor profiles for each category that compliment the meat. Sometimes I use one in others I use combinations. Sauce is still hit and misses, but I have found a recipe that I like and have worked well this year for us. What has or is working for you???

A couple of times each year we have a team cook where we'll cook like 4 briskets
using 4 different rub variations and/or injection variations. We'll usually cook 4 to
6 pork shoulders doing the same. Ribs too, about 6 slabs of ribs.

Then when done we come inside and I usually have 15 to 20 sauces mixed up and
we have a tasting party. Pull this and dip that type of thing. I remember the first
time we did this the things we though would go well together DIDN'T and it ended up
with a mixture of a few things we did more of on a whim worked great for us.

For us, over the last 3 years or so we've gotten it down to 1 rub (varied for brisket,
but I wont tell what the difference is) and varied sauces for the different meats.

Last time or two we've ended up pretty much where we were previously. Guess we
now have our preferences. However, we still do this, if for nothing else than to have
a taste testing party. I usually do this just before the 4th of July. That way when
we have our 4th of July party we'll use the extra sauces so that we can use them up.
Plus, for sauces, it gives us another group (60 or so folks) to taste test and tell
us what they think. Kinda wild too, because the more varied the sauces the more
varied the opinions. I've learned the most subjective piece are the sauce flavors.
You can't please everyone with one sauce. We generally get a consensus, and this
past year the 60% percentile was with what we (the team) had chosen. However,
the other 40% were all over the place. That'll teach me to add in mustard sauces!

Chuck,

I mix and match rubs to my own personal taste preferences. For my ribs, I use a combo of 2-3 different rub manufacturers, and same goes for pork. For brisket, I have a favorite, as I do chicken ...so I do not mix.

As for sauces, I blend as well. Blues Hog is good, but it is overdone. So sometimes I use BH mixed with something else, or I try a different brand. Some of my favorites are Cookie's, The Slabs, Spicewine Blue Collar, Head Country, Grandma's, and Mean Dean's.

Whatever combos you used at Dillon, I would repeat that process weekly :-D

See you again soon.

Kevin

Chuck,

I mix and match rubs to my own personal taste preferences. For my ribs, I use a combo of 2-3 different rub manufacturers, and same goes for pork. For brisket, I have a favorite, as I do chicken ...so I do not mix.

As for sauces, I blend as well. Blues Hog is good, but it is overdone. So sometimes I use BH mixed with something else, or I try a different brand. Some of my favorites are Cookie's, The Slabs, Spicewine Blue Collar, Head Country, Grandma's, and Mean Dean's.

Whatever combos you used at Dillon, I would repeat that process weekly :-D

See you again soon.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin:-D I think we have found what is working for us and we have been consistant all year. Just wanted to see how many people use more then one rub or a combo of to see the diffrence.

as long as the meat is cooked to perfection it seems to me the seasoning and sauces become secondary--just as long as they don't over power the meat--but of course cooking the meat perfectly on a regular basis ain't easy so good seasoning combo sure can help the finished product

as long as the meat is cooked to perfection it seems to me the seasoning and sauces become secondary--just as long as they don't over power the meat--but of course cooking the meat perfectly on a regular basis ain't easy so good seasoning combo sure can help the finished product

excellent !.. I just wonder how many people will pay attention to that statement.

Buzz taught me this a long time ago. This is the truth.

I got a pork rub, a chicken rub and a brisket rub.

I have a chicken brine, and pork injection and a beef injection.

That being said, I suck. So, take that as you will.

Buzz is WAY off, I wouldn't listen to him:twisted::becky::becky:

Back