How would you price?

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering, if someone asked you to cook some butts for them and you had to buy the meat, prepare it, cook it using all your stuff, how would you price it? I know to take into consideration of my time, etc. I was wondering if you priced it by the pound or what? Knowing if I bought a 10 pound butt that it would render down to 6 or even 7 pounds.

Just rambling here, I think, but I do need to know how it is priced for you guys.

By the pound of finish product. Hopefully it is more than one butt, not really worth the effort otherwise

OK...how much per pound if it were you? Yeah, its actually 4-6 butts on this deal.

I start with using the food/material cost as a guideline. "Industry standard" is approximately 32% for food cost, or 1/3. Thats great when you are doing volume, but not so much for 10 lbs of butt you caught on sale for 99 cents a pound. Then I look at my time. I charge about $25 and hour (honest work time, not drinking beer while i stoke the coals), and just make it seem fair. Last, ask yourself what you would pay for some killer 'Q.

You all are saying $10 per lb, would you fire up a cooker to cook 6 butts 24lbs cooked for $10 a Lb? Or is that if you are already cooking?

I'm just curious cause at the current time I am paying $1.56 per Lb x 48 lbs $74.88 + $15 charcoal/wood + $10 misc = $99.88 cost for a yield of 24lbs $240 - cost = profit $140.12 not counting gas for supply pick up and or delivery.

Seems to me if you were firing up a pit to cook for just this person you would be making less than $10 an hour if you count time getting supplies, prep, cooking, clean up and maybe delivery.

Maybe I am looking at it wrong, and if I am it would not be the first time LOL

I would NOT fire up for $10. $10 is my vending price which assumes a full load. I do cook full loads, vac-seal and freeze for weekly small orders. My yield might be a touch (not much) higher.

OK Thanks I was wondering cause if someone called me up for about 55 people I would cook that amount with buns and sauce dropped off to them for $7.50 per person $412.50 total

I would fire up. I just bought a case at $1.39lb. Pre cook 48lbs=66.72 charcoal=15.00 rub= 5 Total $86.72. Let's round up to $90 to make it easy if you use foil or something I don't. Swing by the store and pick up supplies on your way home, 10 hours later pull the butts.

$240-$90= $150/10= $15 hour. Granted I don't have to watch my smoker like a hawk, doesn't seem like a bad day.

I would NOT fire up for $10. $10 is my vending price which assumes a full load. I do cook full loads, vac-seal and freeze for weekly small orders. My yield might be a touch (not much) higher.

I wish we could vac seal and freeze in Minnesota to sell to people

Guess I'm a little differant? I charge $45.00 a butt 7-9 LBS before cooked.

Back