• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Involvement

Looks like this BOD meeting will be interesting based on the President's Report...

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17462

This jumped out at me (From Mike Richter's statement)
" I believe history will point to this as the beginning of the end of KCBS. "

Both Candy Weaver and Mike Richter put statements in the record that are full of mystery, innuendo, vague charges and more.

How about just coming clean and telling the membership what's actually going on?

SECRECY and the BOD's unwillingness to come clean will be the end.

Are we really bringing up the TOY bonus points again?!? How on earth is that even a priority right now.

Are we really bringing up the TOY bonus points again?!? How on earth is that even a priority right now.
Good question. alot of stupid things being brought up. It appears someone has an issue with judges using a fork to pick a sample out of the box. And Richter's complaining about the new board. GTFO, Elections have consequences.

Looks like the TOY items are to take effect 2020. Maybe they just want to address now to get it out of the way. Gives everyone plenty of time to know the rules of the game.

It's a standing committee. They have monthly meetings, so they may as well address it. If it takes too much time during this meeting, which appears to have a full agenda it can be tabled until next month for discussion and/or a vote. Good for the committee for sending something to the board for action.

ToY was decided by one point, and came down to the final weekend this year. Seems like a reasonable response and won't be implemented this year after the season has started. I'm having a hard time finding something wrong here.

This jumped out at me (From Mike Richter's statement)
" I believe history will point to this as the beginning of the end of KCBS. "

Both Candy Weaver and Mike Richter put statements in the record that are full of mystery, innuendo, vague charges and more.

How about just coming clean and telling the membership what's actually going on?

SECRECY and the BOD's unwillingness to come clean will be the end.
The good ol boys club is squirming. Exactly what we've needed for years.

Looks like Mike Richter resigned today. I respect him as a cook and a person. Boards should be made up of differing opinions and perspectives. People may not agree but it's a way for all parties to represented. Sad to see this go down like this and it looks like transparency is a matter of perspectiv now a days.

Looks like Mike Richter resigned today. I respect him as a cook and a person. Boards should be made up of differing opinions and perspectives. People may not agree but it's a way for all parties to represented. Sad to see this go down like this and it looks like transparency is a matter of perspectiv now a days.

Mike’s a good guy and I feel like he was doing his best on the board. There must be some serious stuff going down for him to resign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's probably a good buy but a terrible board member. The reason KCBS is in the condition it is, isn't because of the current board, it's due to the previous board and he was part of it. As far as I'm concerned, good riddance.

Among all the terrible decisions the previous board made, currently the KCBS Score program has no ability to send contest results to the new website so right now Reps have to email a CSV file to the company who made the new site and they have to manually add it to the website. That's why it takes so long for results to show up now. And the previous board thought that in that condition this site was ready to go live production...........

Board members are always the best thing ever going in and the worst thing ever going out.

He's probably a good buy but a terrible board member. The reason KCBS is in the condition it is, isn't because of the current board, it's due to the previous board and he was part of it. As far as I'm concerned, good riddance.

Mike is an honorable man and one of the most honest people I've ever met. I have no doubt every vote he cast was truly what he thought was best for all of KCBS. To disparage him in any way is insulting.

Among all the terrible decisions the previous board made, currently the KCBS Score program has no ability to send contest results to the new website so right now Reps have to email a CSV file to the company who made the new site and they have to manually add it to the website. That's why it takes so long for results to show up now. And the previous board thought that in that condition this site was ready to go live production...........

I look forward to your candidacy and potential election. There should be plenty of seats to go around next year.

I didn't always agree with his opinion or vote. I just don't get the need to verbally burn him in effigy. If you are going to pin the current ills of KCBS as an organization solely on the previous board you are myopic. There are more pressing issues that go further back, but have become accepted or are ignored.

I look forward to your candidacy and potential election. There should be plenty of seats to go around next year.

I didn't always agree with his opinion or vote. I just don't get the need to verbally burn him in effigy. If you are going to pin the current ills of KCBS as an organization solely on the previous board you are myopic. There are more pressing issues that go further back, but have become accepted or are ignored.
Because I am stating legitimate concerns I am expected to run for BOD? No, that's not how it works.

Ok, I'll revise it........... not just the previous board, but MANY previous boards. I'll pin the current ills of KCBS on the previous boards that they bear responsibility for, just as I have done. The current website is just one of many. I'm surprised that genius marketing company they hired didn't have the knowledge on how to properly test things before rolling out a new web platform and if things aren't working to STOP until they are fixed.

Mike is an honorable man and one of the most honest people I've ever met. I have no doubt every vote he cast was truly what he thought was best for all of KCBS. To disparage him in any way is insulting.
I guess anyone who thinks voting in favor of a marketing company run by the sitting board president is good for any organization then I have a much different definition of that.
How the hell am I "disparaging" him for calling out some of his actions?

Special meeting tonight....

04-23-19 - KCBS Board of Directors Special Meeting - Judge Seating
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors Special Meeting Agenda
April 23, 2019 at 7:00pm CST

Roll Call: Dennis Polson, Jason Cole, Alan Sellers, Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Fergola, Haymo Gutweniger, Myron Berry

KCBS Office: Carolyn Wells, Heath Hall

Members Participating on Call: Mark Gibbs, Mark Kenney, Luke Darnell, Mike Peters, Sean Young, Jordan Fishman, George Mullins, David McAllister

Closed Session Agenda:

Discussion on KCBS Judge Seating Program.
Mark Gibbs to provide origins and history of the KCBS Judge Seating Program.
Open discussion on KCBS Judge Seating Program.
After Closed Session:

The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session.

Adjourn or Suspend

I guess anyone who thinks voting in favor of a marketing company run by the sitting board president is good for any organization then I have a much different definition of that.
How the hell am I "disparaging" him for calling out some of his actions?

Travis,

You seem to be the self appointed King of “calling out” people you don’t actually know if you disagree with them. I’ll probably be next on your attack list but if that’s the case for defending an honorable man, than so be it. I didn’t agree with every vote he cast and I told him the ones I disagreed with. But I know he felt every vote was in the best interest of the organization. That’s all you can ask of someone whether you agree with them or not.

Regards,
Tom Hillman

Travis,

You seem to be the self appointed King of “calling out” people you don’t actually know if you disagree with them. I’ll probably be next on your attack list but if that’s the case for defending an honorable man, than so be it. I didn’t agree with every vote he cast and I told him the ones I disagreed with. But I know he felt every vote was in the best interest of the organization. That’s all you can ask of someone whether you agree with them or not.

Regards,
Tom Hillman

I am? When did I "self appoint" myself that? I have an attack list? I just call it like I see it and some can't handle that. I never debated whether or not he was an honorable man. I'm debating his decisions and actions as a KCBS BOD.

I'd like to know how appointing the board president as the marketing company is in any organization's best interest.

If you did that in some sectors you would be in violation of laws, be charged with a felony and there's a reason why.

Last edited:
Back