The Baking Steel - Quick Review

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[ame]http://youtu.be/emny0AdHIw4[/ame]

On the Baking Steel website, the information is not readily available that you can get these in custom sizes. They don't even list the round ones on the site yet. The website lists two basic sizes that are 16" x 14" x 1/4" and 16" x 14" x 1/2". I would like to start out by saying that my opinion, not having cooked on it yet, is that the 1/2" thick Baking Steel may be a little difficult to work with due to its weight. The Baking Steel that I have is 15" diameter round and 1/2" thick. It weighs 17 pounds. All things being equal, the 16x14x1/2" Baking Steel would weigh in at roughly 21.5lbs and the 1/4" version would weigh in at approximately 10.75lbs. A 1/4" thick version of my 15" round Baking Steel would weigh roughly 8.5lbs which would be much more manageable than the 17lbs on the thicker product.

I believe the thicker 1/2" thick Baking Steel may be disadvantageous in the fact that it's going to take it a long time to give up all that heat it absorbs when you are finished cooking on it. You will definitely leave this in the oven or on your grill to cool no matter what size you choose. On the flip side of that coin, the thicker Baking Steel is going to take longer to heat up as well. For those of you who are looking at this product to use on a grill rather than in the oven, you might want to consider investing in an inexpensive IR thermometer so you can read the temp of the steel before you start cooking on it...

Back