What should my next step be, Jedi Masters?

Supes

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a few burns of the UDS under my belt. I've attempted a pork butt, spatchcocked and brined some chickens and will complete the golden triangle of meat with a brisket next week. Needless to say, every cook includes a fatty. I'm getting there...

My question is, what should the next step on my journey be?

Redi-Check wireless thermometer

Taking the lid on and off my UDS is a bit of a faff because it's warped. It takes about 5 minutes to get the lid shut and clamped which means checking the temp of my meat is a real pain.

With the Redi-Check, I would only have to open the lid when the meat was done.

Pros: Less faffing, more time drinking beer and watching rugby
Cons: It's £60 in the UK. SIXTY POUNDS!

Weber One Touch

I'm grilling meat on a cheapo generic bbq which has maybe a year or two left in her before she collapses in a heap of ash and grease. I've always fancied a Weber and the kettle lid will come in handy during the UDS cooks.

Pros: I get a Weber. I get quick access to the UDS. It's only £30 more than the thermometer
Cons: Wife's voice "Do you need this? What's wrong with the blue one? Why do you have 3 bbqs? Do you need this? What's wrong with the blue one? Why do you have 3 bbqs? The bathroom needs tiling you know"

Or maybe there is another option that I haven't even considered?

Thanks, guys.

You are in a jam, my friend. Both items would benefit your next level of training.

I would opt for the Weber. It does double duty as a grill/smoker, and as a lid for the UDS.

Your response to your wife should be this:

Yes, the bathroom needs retiling. The money we save by not burning up the meat I cook will pay for it.

I vote for the Weber & throw in a mani/pedi for the wife followed by a fattie. She'll be to relaxed & full to fight :cool:

Yoda.gif
Domestic tranquility worth, how much is, hmm?

Go for it all! Afterall, it is much easier to as for forgiveness than it is permission.

Tell your wife that the reason you need 3 bbq's is because you are a man and that is the only answer you need to give her. :icon_smile_tongue:

But since you already have a UDS and a functioning regular grill (that will last a year or two) go with the thermometer now. This will help you when you cook on the uds. Then you can save up for a kettle next.

Tough choices. I suggest you get both so that you don't make a mistake :twisted:.

I'm in a similar situation in regards to the lid on the UDS. My Weber 22.5 doesn't fit the UDS either so I'm waiting for a thermometer to come in. But in the meant time I put an oven thermometer right next to one of the bung holes so I can check the temp without removing the lid

null-9.jpg

null-8.jpg

Get the Maverick ET732 and wait for a 22" kettle to pop up on CL for $20-30 bucks. I scored one last week for $5! :shock: :grin:

I would get a Webber, but the thermometer is easier to hide. :becky:

CD

got 2 of these from ebay,1 for meat and the other for grate temp.
took a while to come from china but well worth it
ebay number 390514319170

i'm in a similar situation in regards to the lid on the uds. My weber 22.5 doesn't fit the uds either so i'm waiting for a thermometer to come in. But in the meant time i put an oven thermometer right next to one of the bung holes so i can check the temp without removing the lid

null-9.jpg

null-8.jpg
genius

Personally, I'm leary of wireless thermometers. I've heard too many horror stories, and my wired thermo works great. That being said, if you're comfortable with them go for it.

If I was in your shoes, I'd look for a used Weber. If used is not an option, get a new OTG. The OTG is worth ghe extra money, over the OTS. A Weber will replace your grill that is dying, plus give you a UDS lid. You can grill on the Weber without the lid, while your UDS is smoking away.

If your wife is concerned about the quantity of cookers, show her our signature lines. Most of us have multiple cookers, and we generally use them all. Maybe not all the time, nor at the same time. We have 3 22.5" Webers, and use at least 2 each time we cook. My wife said we couldn't get anymore, but she looks for used ones, constantly.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide. Either decision will serve you well.

Matt

I have meditated on this and the path is now clear.

I'm going to get a cheapo digital thermo from China (thanks wjm) to tide me over until someone I know travels to the US and can pick me up an ET732.

I'm going to keep looking for a Weber, either second hand or in the sales. I'm hoping for a rancid UK summer of rain.

Still no clue what to do about the nagging wife or the bathroom tiles but I'll save those problems for another day.

Thank you for the guidance, Wise ones.

:eusa_clap

Go with the Weber! As for "why do you need another grill?" Best answered with "Why do you need so many shoes?" It's a man thing!

Back