One Time Use Cutting Boards

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some one time use cutting boards, and I see that there are two main sizes, 12x18 and 18x24. Which sizes do people tend to use for which purpose? I'm wondering if I should get some of each or just one. Also, do people use them for cooked meats during turn in only, or for on site trimming as well? I guess when you have time to wash after each cut you don't need them as much for trimming, but it could save some labor.

Lemme know, thanks!

dmp

Stick with the big ones. If you go to a contest where Smoky Mountain Smokers are competing, Joe Amore will deliver them to you and save you the shipping cost. The only drawbacks of the disposables is cost and if you use one on top of a stainless table they don't give much edge protection for your best knives. Because of this we still use a plastic board when slicing brisket with the big 14" razor.

The smaller ones are nice but they cost almost as much as the big ones so....

Use one for raw and toss it, then a new one for cooked meat. Might even need a second one as it'll get pretty messy after ribs and pork. So that's about $3 in the grand scheme of cook-off expenses.

We use only the plastic boards. Never used the disposable ones and never seen the need to. It doesn't take much to wash the cutting board.
I'm not against the disposables, but I see no need to use them and as a self funded team, I need to watch were every dollar goes.

If we don't do any on site trimming, I think we use 2 at the most per contest. Just one less thing to clean up.

Go with the big ones. Doesn't ever hurt to have too much cutting space. you can always cut them in half if you have some smaller prep work to do.

I agree with the rest get the largest ones. I also use a piece of that foam shelf liner underneath the disposable board in order to prevent slippage.

I use both the large ones that fit a full pan and the smaller ones that fit a half pan.

No one just lays the meat out on the dirt and cuts it with a rusty butter knife anymore?:becky:

large ones..I cut a couple large ones in half should I need anything smaller.

You could go to RD and buy the die cut unassembled pizza boxes and fold the edges up. They work fine and are fraction of the cost and there is no shipping. I know a few guys that use these.

I think that washing a cutting board is a pain in the arse, so here's another vote for the large ones from Smoky Mountain Smokers. The only drawback is that a disposable will blow away in a wind storm (don't ask me how I know). But duct tape solves that!

--frank in Wilson, NY

Back