Best Knives

IMHO - A person gets what they pay for. However, a recent issue of Chef's gave the the Forchner commercial/black handle knives a great review & they are pretty cheap! I bought some and agree. They are easy to sharpen and maintain an edge really well.

The Wustof or Henkel breands always work well. There are a million out there - just get a comfortable angle & handle.

Oh yeah - Style: Hollow ground slicer at least 8" SUPER SHARP!!!!

IMHO - A person gets what they pay for. However, a recent issue of Chef's gave the the Forchner commercial/black handle knives a great review & they are pretty cheap! I bought some and agree. They are easy to sharpen and maintain an edge really well.

The Wustof or Henkel breands always work well. There are a million out there - just get a comfortable angle & handle.

Yep, the Forchners are some really good knives and the synthetic handles can take more abuse than wood.

I picked up a 12" slicer and it's what I use at comps. Sharp as all get out. Use it to slice falling apart brisket and ribs. I have about 6 different brands of knives. And a favorite for each different application. So get out there and hold some in your hand and decide how much or less you want to spend.

I concur! I have several of the Forschners

Last edited:
Do you use the slicer for both briskets and ribs??

Yep. Ribs are usually falling off the bone. It needs to be sharp or electric at the comps I go to. Judges like brisket and ribs that crumble or fall off the bone.

I take it everyone is talking about a granton slicer?

Yep. Mine has made it through 4 comps and doesn't skip a beat. Sort of scares me to wash it. Got to keep both eyes on the blade and fingers. Afer a fer beers, i let GrumpysQ(Mike) wash it.:cool:

Check out Bark River Knives. Heck of a knife and they have a lifetime warranty to boot. Can't say enough good things about them and I use them for everything. I've gotten rid of all my other kitchen (and hunting) knives.

DLT

KSF

I agree OakPit!
I love my cheap Forchner knives, nothing better for the money
in my opinion. They hold a good edge and straighten out well.
I have a 10" Wustof slicer that I use for Brisket only. Very nice knife.

Weiser

America's Test Kitchen is right with the Victorinox fibrox handle models. I bought a bunch of different styles and they are all AMAZING and CHEAP!!

7" Santoku w/ graton, 12" slicer w/ granton, 6" boning, 8" chefs. All hold razor edge and sharpen up real nice.

Here's Mine
IMG_0669.JPG

The Wustof or Henkels brands always work well. There are a million out there - just get a comfortable angle & handle.

you just have to be careful when it comes to the Henkel brand.. the better quality knives have two men on them like this and are made in germany

logo_lt.gif

the lower quaity ones have only one man on them and are made in china.

the bonus of about buying a henckels is that there is always a lifetime warranty on the knife whether it it a cheap one or a quality one.

Where do you get these knives?

for henckels, go to your local restaurant supplier or even in those kitchen gadget shops in the mall...

for the cheaper ones, you can buy them at walmart now

Back