• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Results 1st comp 2nd place pork

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
took a 2nd place trophy and a third overall highest average score out of 12 teams at mann's orchards applewood smoke off for my 1st comp ever. small compared to others but some pretty well set-up teams. good time and great people. did some stupid stuff that i won't repeat, skipped some stuff that i'll be sure to do, and did some good stuff that i'll continue to do with my cooks in the future. thanks everyone here for your help!

Last edited:
Congrats!
First comps there is an awful lot going on for sure.
I remember our first one like it was yesterday.

ha! thats funny, cuz MY WIFE is looking for the next one! already!!
it was alot of fun, thanks everybody...
i think it will be boston hills, ny. ribfest.

yup! it sure is different having judges waiting for your box than it is cooking outside at home, even with "turn in windows". nothing can prepare you for that pressure of a razor sharp knife hanging over a 12 hour cook, a 4 hour prep/trim, 2 hour sauce, 6 hour drive, 240 gallons of gas, 1/2 a case of beers(oops), etc. etc. and of course your pride on the line.
thank you!

Last edited:
thanks again guys. and ya know, to think of it, i don't think you're(me)supposed to use the "contest results" prefix with just your position. kinda unsportsmanlike? maybe? when i get home i'll post more detailed results that'll have the other winners and the team list.

Congrats! Hope I have luck anywhere near that!
Rather, Hope I have SKILL anywhere near that!

yup! it sure is different having judges waiting for your box than it is cooking outside at home, even with "turn in windows". nothing can prepare you for that pressure of a razor sharp knife hanging over a 12 hour cook, a 4 hour prep/trim, 2 hour sauce, 6 hour drive, 240 gallons of gas, 1/2 a case of beers(oops), etc. etc. and of course your pride on the line.
thank you!

Rookie. :thumb:

Congrats. What comp was this?

Rookie. :thumb:

Congrats. What comp was this?

rookie, yup! everbody warned me:laugh:brisky didn't have the color till 1:30A, guess what i did waiting...but i got to meet alot of the other teams and good people while waiting(kinda a little bit the point of this whole frickin mess i've gotten myself into:clap2:). gotta adjust my schedule....
1/2 a case o' beers staring at the thermo on your cooker for 7 hours at home is very different than out in the field. lesson learned. but i'm a slow learner so come on by....please drink some o these beers.
anyway, maybe i should just post winners. i dunno. i don't really have permission or authority to throw more than that info out there, i think.
brisket-two brothers bbq:thumb:(look out this beef was good, their ribs my wife liked better than mine)
pork-sweet breathe bbq:boxing:
ribs-sweet breathe bbq:boxing:
chicken-the devine swine
GC-sweet breathe bbq:boxing:
RGC-eatin smoke bbq
my chicken was bad(salty too much brine, prep and cook, present ok)
my ribs too much top glaze(glaze went on cold, no melt, prep, cook, and pesent ok)
brisket a little dry, (didn't trust myself, cooked to temp not feel/smell, prep skipped a step(boy those boxes are small),
pork(thought it was ok, so did judges, btw, trusted myself on doneness on this one and not temp)
i need to pay more attention to detail out there and apply what i' know and have learned here. big lesson for me and anyone interested.
congrats to the winners, and all the participants.

Last edited:
It was A good time at Mann glad we got to talk for a bit by the way did they let you use there Matresses that they had set up out there!LOL Cnograts again Mike "Can U Smell My Pits"

no, there were already 2 dudes already sleeping on it!!!
nice to meet you as well, i'll smell those BOOBIES any day.

Back