All Night Drum Brisket

Crüe-B-Cüe

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I lit the drum about 9:00 last night for a 15 lb. brisket. Normally I cook with a heat shield in the UDS, but since that shortens the cook time, I decided to go without it. Plus, using Stubbs charcoal, I don't get that chemical smell as with K. I haven't tried cooking direct since switching to Stubbs so I figured this would be a good test. There was a world of difference in the flavor. The bisket went in the drum last night about 10:00. I watched it for an hour to make sure temps were stable then went to bed. Got up at 8:00 this morning and the drum was still nailed on 250. Took it off at 1:00 today when it was probe tender. Wrapped in foil with a little beef broth, then wrapped that in 2 beach towels and let it rest for 2 hours. I think this might be my best briskie yet. Here's the pron...

112209-1.JPG

112209-2.JPG

How do you like my Fred Flintstone spatula? Works great for briskets and butts.

112209-3.JPG

112209-4.JPG

112209-5.JPG

Looks awsome!

I would have thought that using a heat shield would lengthen the cooking time?

Looks mighty fine.

I just looked up Stubbs charcoal on Lowes site. They show a bag that clearly says Stubbs charcoal, and caption it Cowboy. Guess they are the same thing.

brisket looks great, I want that spatula, and I gotta say I just love the stubbs... its all I use and turns out some great food

Looks awsome!

I would have thought that using a heat shield would lengthen the cooking time?

I shoulda said burn time. With the clay pot base in I can only get 8 or 9 hours burn time. I shut it down after 15 today. I'm curiuos to see how much charcoal is left. I'll have to take a peak in the morning.

I shoulda said burn time. With the clay pot base in I can only get 8 or 9 hours burn time. I shut it down after 15 today. I'm curiuos to see how much charcoal is left. I'll have to take a peak in the morning.
Great looking brisky. What did you mean ,clay pot base?Does that cover the top of the charcoal basket? Did you have to add more charcoal? Just curious. Thanks:eusa_clap

I have a third rack installed in my UDS. I put a 16" clay pot base on it as a heat shield / diffuser. When I first started with a UDS, I didn't like it. I liked the ease of use and cook times, but not the flavor of the food. I was to smokey for me and the K seemed to leave a chemical flavor kinda like lighter fluid. There was something there that I didn't care for so I went for the indirect method. (What I call the JD mod since I got the idea from him) I have never added charcoal, just dealt with shorter burn times. Using Stubbs, I didn't get the flavor I didn't like using it direct. The only real difference I will miss is no big temp spikes when you open it. They stayed steady.

Great looking brisket and I love that spatula!! Do you happen to have a link to where I could get one?

Looks mighty fine.

I just looked up Stubbs charcoal on Lowes site. They show a bag that clearly says Stubbs charcoal, and caption it Cowboy. Guess they are the same thing.

The Stubbs briquettes are made by Cowboy, or at least they package and distribute them.

Great looking brisket and I love that spatula!! Do you happen to have a link to where I could get one?

My wife bought it at Linens 'N Things before they closed down here. It's supposed to be for fish, but it is so strong that I use it for briskets and butts. I can pick up a whole packer one handed.

Back