Next Stop. Asbury Park... RESULTS..

racer_81 said:
my wife tells me that women do not snore, they just make little princess sleeping noises.

Mine saws logs. Know a guy who taped his wife snooring so she would beleive him.

Congrats......gretat reading.....only time for one post today....So I gots to make it important..

Was the Brisket Fat Cap down or up?

Phil, David, Rob congrats on a great job. Sounds like you had a great time, and the results speak for themselves! The stories are exactly what I needed to read this afternoon! Thanks guys :D

DFLittle said:

Fat was DOWN! :D

yeah... after dave reminded me..

Dunno why but first one i put in was cap up(brainfart mod) .... as I'm walkin away, for some reason Dave said "cap down right?"

Oops..... Go back and flip.

BBQchef33 said:
DFLittle said:

Fat was DOWN! :D

yeah... after dave reminded me..

Dunno why but first one i put in was cap up(brainfart mod) .... as I'm walkin away, for some reason Dave said "cap down right?"

Oops..... Go back and flip.

Old habbits die hard! I'd still be cooking them that way if it wasn't for this site....not that there's anything wrong with that.... :oops:

Brisket here is something that I watched this weekend and it took a first.
Choice or better brisket, point on, no trimming of fat execpt for some of the hard fat, injected with a product called Fab B (from theingredientstore.com). Inject from the non-fat side and rub heavy with extra raw sugar. One need to rub fat side at all, and cook fat side down. Cook to 190º internal
and then wrap in foil and place in dry cooler for a min of 2 hours, 4 is better.

When doing turn-in slice off fat and remove the point (reserve the liquid in the foil). The point is chunked or pulled in larger chunks and placed in the box, from the flat is slicled from the center part that is covered by the point while cooking. Those slices are placed over the pulled point and brushed with a mixture of the liquid your reserve and a small amount of sauce.

The Fab B is mixed 2 parts water to one part Fab B, it thickens up a bit. It helps retain moisture and it increases the beef flavor of the brisket.

I have 5 pounds of the Fab B coming, that is how much I like it.

i did the brisket fat down, bathed the entire brisket in Cider vinegar and let it sit for a minute or 2 to let the pores open. Then rubbed the entire brisket with brown sugar until it was covered with what looked like a syrup. Then rubbed the exposed meat with my rub concoction. Sprayed with apple juice and bourbon throughout the cook. Took them off at 170-175 and drizzled honey over them and a little more rub. Then foiled and brought to 185-190. One of them got away and got a little overdone.

When slicing, i chose to turn in complete slices of flat and point with the fat line intact. I chose the pieces starting at where the layers overlap and got 6 pieces going right into the point. They were so juicy that they shined and didnt need to be brushed or bathed, but while slicing i placed them into the juice pan and sprinkled with accent, then rebuilt the slices in the order they came apart. They were thick slices and were snug in the box.

Took first place too.... gonna stick with this technique. :mrgreen:

Nice write up.

Arlie is Arlie Bragg! :D

Some photos are up guys.. There is another whole roll of film due up that i took. these were kind of scattered. apologize for the non digital quality.

Marquis de Sade Mod???

Anybody know if the Guitarbeque folks are gonna post results?

Congrats bros. on an outstanding showing. Had some take out brisket today that was less than good. Not juicy at all, and mild on the flavor. Thank goodness they make great hot sauce. Did any of the entries use sauce?

Arlie or someone from KCBS should post them. Unfortunately I have no idea where they would be posted.

OMG that write up was hilarious! I sure would love to know when they will be airing that program so I can see your ugly mugs on TV!

BBQchef33 said:
BrooklynQ said:
willkat98 said:
Where's Robs write up?

As usual, my write up is long, but it's here.www.whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com

Damn, next time someone remind me to just bring a whip.!! or better yet.. Maybe grow in a thin mustache and an armband. Heil!

Phil, you got the wrong impression man. In no way did I feel that you were being a dictator or over bearing at all. I guess I didn't express my thoughts properly.

BrooklynQ said:
BBQchef33 said:
BrooklynQ said:
willkat98 said:
Where's Robs write up?

As usual, my write up is long, but it's here.www.whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com

Damn, next time someone remind me to just bring a whip.!! or better yet.. Maybe grow in a thin mustache and an armband. Heil!

Phil, you got the wrong impression man. In no way did I feel that you were being a dictator or over bearing at all. I guess I didn't express my thoughts properly.

Well....but this one line bugs me..
You wrote
"There was nothing that I did that helped win that contest.".

You are so far from the truth. There is no way we could have even placed without your help.... and Daves and Mine. We were functioning as a team. Right at the beginning i said we'll go with what I know unless someone has a secret weapon. No one spoke up so i went with what i am familiar with. But no team can function without a support staff. If there are 4 cooks, you still need a support staff of at least 3. In this case, yeah i was cookin, but i was also freaking out, getting lost, tripping over myself and becoming totally derailed. Everyone there did what had to be done and each of us kept the other on track. I jumped track a few times because of the events that happened last week and you and dave got me focused and back on track. At one time while slicing the meat, it started bleeding across the cutting board. All I saw was the blood and I froze... Flashback to the site last week in front of my truck. I was about to have a meltdown... You came back and bitchslapped me... "We need the other brisket.. That one is no good". YOU explained how judges look at the brisket. I was not aware of that(accordian thing).... I went with your judgement and we won first. You dont think thats a contribution to our win? You were 1/3 of a winning team and also flew solo on the presentations. The only thing i did was fluff up the pork with you...The ODD number of pieces was something that was told to me about doing presentation boxes. Always put an odd number in.. like in floral arrangments. I was relaying those words.

We all put alot of sweat into those 2 days, and no one person is responsible, its a team effort.. the glory goes to each of us. I couldnt do that alone and I'd be part of that same team anyday.

Just curious, what was the scoring on the ribs and pork butt?

And BQ, you played a very vital role in the team process. Someone has to step and and make the final call for the team, and you go with it.
You gave very valuable input, which is all a team member can ask be asked for.

Excellent job team!

Back