I was sitting in the Pub across the street from our office on Friday night commiserating with a co-worker about how our jobs suck at times. We ordered a plate of nacho's to go with our drinks. Lightening Struck. :idea: My plan for the weekend was to smoke a chuck roast and use the left overs for nachos on Sunday during the football game. Perfect! I got a TD entry and I didn't even have to think about it. :-D

Here's my chuck roast and nachos thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98940

And here is the TD winning photo:
IMG_3700.JPG

I hit that to excess. :becky:

I need to do some research, it has been years since I was in a pub.

There goes my first idea :mad2: :-D

Nice nachos, Ryan! they look great!

Hey, just do like R2Egg2Q did in the Virgin thread: enter the same dish as me but with only a very subtly different photo. It worked for the win! :tsk:

I needed some of your Mexican melty cheese! If I had some of that, it would be no contest. Oh wait, I just told you to enter the same dish and then I told you how to improve it... :doh:

:p

Hey, just do like R2Egg2Q did in the Virgin thread: enter the same dish as me but with only a very subtly different photo. It worked for the win! :tsk:

I needed some of your Mexican melty cheese! If I had some of that, it would be no contest. Oh wait, I just told you to enter the same dish and then I told you how to improve it... :doh:

The Brethren spirit lives!

No worries... I have another idea. Now i just need to act on it.

Pub Food! Well, this one brings me back. I don’t think I’ve really been in an honest to goodness pub, since BC, … Before Children, that is. I was named after the Emerald Island, so if you’re talking to me about Pub Food, of course you’re talking about an Irish Pub. No chicken wings or nachos here. There’s nothing wrong with wings and I love nachos, but they just don’t belong in an Irish Pub. We’re talking Pub Food, not bar food. Now, let’s sit back, turn up the volume and click the link to get in the right mood….Oh, and don’t forget to come back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrBLqp-s__o

Now when you’re talking pubs, you’ve got to include beer, and when you’re talking beer, you can only mean Guinness. So, let’s take a look at the menu at the local pub and see what they might be offering:

IMG_0895.jpg

You can see there aren’t going to be any misconceptions about what we’ll be having at this pub. It’ll be Guinness pie and a Pint at this table. Now, I make my Guinness pie as a variation of cottage pie (or shepherds pie) that you might find in many pubs. Guinness pie is far superior though. Instead of minced meat, I use braised short ribs, and of course there is the Guinness. I begin by smoking some short ribs for a couple hours to give their flavor some depth. I seasoned these with some Foil Hat Rub.

IMG_0883.jpg

When these are smoked, I braise them in a pot. And add a splash of flour to thicken it up for stick-to-your-ribs goodness.

IMG_0885.jpg

And then add the Guinness

IMG_0887.jpg

I add carrots, onions, and a secret ingredient – well, maybe not so secret.

IMG_0891.jpg

What’s that? Staring at the pictures too long and the music’s over? Well, here’s the next band coming up on stage just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYbXV5eMGsM

I’ll add the peas later. Then back out to My Oval to simmer for a few hours.

IMG_0889.jpg

Next, there is the topping of mashed potatoes. I add a dose of cream to make them extra smooth and so there’s no mistaking which pies are which, I mark the good ones :thumb:. Back out to My Oval to toast the potato topping. Oh, and while these are cooking, I make some Irish soda bread. I prepared a couple loaves. These are served with the pie. Some people like to sop up the juices with bread, but the bread tastes delicious all on its own.

IMG_0893.jpg

The Guinness pies have a slightly crisped outer potato layer when they’re finished. Of course I serve this with a Guinness as there’s nothing else on the menu to drink in this pub.

IMG_0904.jpg

And you can’t visit an Irish pub without singing “No, nay, never!...”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw-1O_wBYXY

So,

Éirinn go brách!

And Thanks for looking!

PS: This is probably the last song I ever heard in a pub, and that was in Nova Scotia. I'm a sucker for graphics. I think they might've relied on a pint of Guinness or some uisce beatha for inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl-CfQvz21Y

After researching pix of pub food I noticed steak came up more often than anything. And did I mention I love steak...and just so happened to have some beautiful choise ribeyes lying around. Oh, and NO ribeyes were murdered in the making of this pub grub!:becky:
First I lit coals and wow, this new charcoal gave off purple flames which I thought was way cool.
flames.jpg

Then into the grill.
hotcoals.jpg

Seared first (flames still purple).
sear.jpg

Then indirect up to 134 and rested while I threw the shiitakes and large buttons on.
indirect.jpg

shrooms.jpg

Fried up some fresh cut steak fries. Here it is sliced.
piece.jpg

But I thought it was a bit blurry so here's the TD pic.
plate2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Back