Squareup.com Anyone use it for CC Payment?

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just signed up for squareup.com to start taking credit card payments with my Iphone. They send me the devise and it is free, along with no monthly fees I just have to pay 2.75% of all transactions.

Does anyone use this? It is free so I thought I would give it a try. I read the agreement and the only part I was not too fond of it that I have to hand write receipt for the customer if over $25 sale. You can not do over $1000 in a 7 day period where you type the card in instead of swiping it. So this would mean if someone wanted to pay for a catering gig over the phone I would have to swipe it in 8 day intervals if the amount were more than $1000.

Thought this would be a cheap option to accept cards when I am vending. One question If you all could answer, is it legal to charge a customer who wants to pay with a credit card (say a $1500 amount) a 3% charge for the option of using the card vs cash or check?

One question If you all could answer, is it legal to charge a customer who wants to pay with a credit card (say a $1500 amount) a 3% charge for the option of using the card vs cash or check?

Depends on the state you're in, and what you call the fee. To get around it just raise your rates by 3%, and offer a 3% discount for cash payments.

I just signed up for squareup.com to start taking credit card payments with my Iphone. They send me the devise and it is free, along with no monthly fees I just have to pay 2.75% of all transactions.

Does anyone use this? It is free so I thought I would give it a try. I read the agreement and the only part I was not too fond of it that I have to hand write receipt for the customer if over $25 sale. You can not do over $1000 in a 7 day period where you type the card in instead of swiping it. So this would mean if someone wanted to pay for a catering gig over the phone I would have to swipe it in 8 day intervals if the amount were more than $1000.

Thought this would be a cheap option to accept cards when I am vending. One question If you all could answer, is it legal to charge a customer who wants to pay with a credit card (say a $1500 amount) a 3% charge for the option of using the card vs cash or check?

I have a Square for business and we use one in our BBQ association as well. So far it's been a good experience. Only thing I've seen is that if you're doing a lot of transactions you might want to spring for an iPad as the phone screen makes it tedious. You can get the weekly limit raised once you have an account if you are an established corporation or LLC.

As for the fee question, yes it's legal to charge a surcharge but it's against your merchant agreement with Visa/Mastercard. If cardholders complain they'll cancel your agreement and ability to process cards. You have to play the game, raise your rates 3% and offer a discount for cash.

One thing to note, you can't do partial refunds with Square, you have to refund the whole transaction so if you take a $1500 deposit for a gig and the final bill comes to $1400 you'll have to cut the client a check for the $100 difference.

I wouldn't even consider taking credit card while vending, if you are just doing small shows with out allot of people in attendence, then maybe, but if you have lines, it would just slow things down, cash is king when vending, Now I do have the gopayment from intuit that I use with my Iphone when catering, never had any issues with it, but now that we have the restaurant I don't have much need for it, I run everything through the restaurant, the general public seem to know if going to a festival or event of any kind, and want food, most often they will need cash, I don't know of too many that take credit while vending.

I have been using Square since they started and have got a lot of my buddies to use them also, different industries though. Great service and competitive fee's, just make sure you read the fine print regarding the limits ect. to make sure they fit your needs.

How does it work, just hook it up and start using or do I need to call my mobile service (Verizon) provider?

Back