Help with tender ribs

ZBucket

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Still having a little trouble getting ribs to the correct tenderness. I've done all the basics and generally foil 1-1.5 hours. I've not tried letting them rest in foil in the cambro and thought I would seek opinions.

Cooking Trigg style at 230-240. Wrap meat side down, single layer and cooking on a FEC 100. Thanks for your help.

Just finished eating some PERFECT ribs which I cooked at 270 degrees using pitmaster t's technique (and boy am I glad I did!)

C2EFD9F4-5203-46B8-B8D4-AB8A263011F6-13483-000008B3FD6508D4.jpg

Watch pitmasters video a couple of time and try his method skipping the foil.

go to post #13 and watch pitmaster t's video. You can fast forward to the 7 minute mark and if you try this method and test your ribs with the skewer, your ribs will be perfecto http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151000

Cooking Trigg style at 230-240. Wrap meat side down, single layer and cooking on a FEC 100. Thanks for your help.

Btw, St. Louis cut spares.

I do my initial cook a little hotter, but when I wrap the temp is 250° so the braise/steam action is not too violent. My wrap time is 1 hour too, and I test with a toothpick.... so I can't help much other than to suggest longer wrap time. I think of a rib cook in 3 parts: the front end step, the tenderizing step, and the finish step.

PS when you said "all the basics" that means you are pulling the membrane, right?

PS when you said "all the basics" that means you are pulling the membrane, right?

Good call on the membrane.... Bottom line is cooking to the right temp. I have done ribs many different ways and they have come out tender. Make sure that you are able to do a good bend or toothpick test and you should be good to go.

I'm guessing your temp is too low. If I foiled for 1.5 hours I woulkd have mush.
I didnt know pulling the membrane had an effect on tenderness

I also had the problem a few years ago and the only way I could get tender was to finnish on the grill. What I did was to add more brown sugar AFTER my rub and cook them longer, stange how the moisture came back into to them....foil does make it easier, however once you figure it out, foil is just an extra step...if I cook hi heat ,say 325* (I had a disaster and had to crash cook) I took a 2nd out of 110 teams...so I started playing with higher heat..and my finnishes also went up..but every smoker cooks different and just keep at it, let them cook longer...then glaze at 225* or so to tighten up...and membrane off will dry out a rib, but most of the time I remove..just keep trying ...even the practice ribs are real gooood!

Back