Cincinnati, OH needs teams and judges

This is the first I've heard of the contest. Is this a trial run? I couldn't find any information about the contest on the website.

Questions:

1. I'm assuming this is a first year contest so only 15 teams needed?
2. Do you have a governors proclamation as a state championship?
3. What are the entry fees?
4. Where will the contest be located? At the market?
5. What space restrictions will cooks be under?
6. Cooking on grass or asphalt surface
7. Free electric, ice?

I am both a cook and a CBJ. I might be able to help.

Where are on the website can I get an application?

Thanks in advance to the answers to these questions.

Dallas

Great questions. Some that I have asked myself. Will post back here as soon as I can find out. I am not the organizer. Just trying to help her get teams and judges.

Yeah, I searched all over also, and could not find any specifics, of it being even a trial run.....hope to find out something about it.....

I have a write up on Findlay Market a while ago, and I'm there now and then... This is the first I've heard of it, too. Kind of short notice, really, and a potentially really hot weekend. I'd like to know what rules they're using, etc. The site is already very busy on the weekends; I'd want to also know about security, etc. based on where they are.

It is a KCBS contest; it is on the KCBS web site schedule.

I received an email from the organizer regarding security. Here it is...

Findlay Market is located in a poor neighborhood with all of the problems that come with it. Despite that, the market is now recognized as a very safe and clean place. We have budgeted nearly $5,000 to pay for round-the-clock security from 7:00 a.m. on Saturday until 7:00 p.m. on Sunday. The market is quite busy on the weekends and there are 2 cops assigned to the market on those days. We have asked for 2 additional officers during the day and will have 2 officers handling the night-time detail.

We have events here regularly on the weekends, the biggest ones being a Mardi Gras celebration and the Cincinnati Reds Opening Day parade. We have a fantastic operations staff who help people with parking and wayfinding and with keeping the place clean when we have big crowds. They are pretty accustomed with handling event logistics.

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I hope this addresses his concerns. I will get to the other questions[/font]

The biggest difference is that those events are not overnight... it's a very different place then. At least they're addressing that.

I emailed her back and asked about Friday night security. At least they are planning to have two officers there all night on Saturday and from the sound of it four during the day on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully that will take care of things.

I have a hard enough time trying to sleep at a contest, worrying if my smoker will be ok overnight. A need for 4 cops in a bad neighborhood, makes me not want to come. Pick a better spot for a contest I say and take that extra $5,000 for security and put it in the prize fund.

they need the 4 at night, 2 in the day! :) Great place, but scary at night.

I agree----- know the area very good ----quite scary at night and large area to cover for 2 cops.....dont know if want to risk it. This is first hearing about it as it has not been in paper or news??????

they need the 4 at night, 2 in the day! :) Great place, but scary at night.

First year contest; only 15 teams needed to be a qualifier; state championship proclamation has been requested.
Entry fee is $200.00 per team.
Will probably provide free ice; may charge $10.00 for electricity.
Contest cook site is on asphalt at Findlay Market in Cincinnati.

aw, come on... what's the worse that can happen? do you really think gangs of thugs will invade and steal meat and or cookers and kill everyone?

I used to live up in your neck of the woods. I relocated to Northeast Ohio from Miamisburg. I've got a member of my team from Germantown. Do you know Mike Minge by any chance? His mother and father in law live in Farmersville as well (DeWayne and Evelyn Spadafora).

Good luck with the contest and bring plenty of ammo just in case you need it!

I used to live up in your neck of the woods. I relocated to Northeast Ohio from Miamisburg. I've got a member of my team from Germantown. Do you know Mike Minge by any chance? His mother and father in law live in Farmersville as well (DeWayne and Evelyn Spadafora).

Good luck with the contest and bring plenty of ammo just in case you need it!

nope... don't know them. i grew up in kettering

I emailed her, but got not response... my wife and are I CBJ's, and I'd at least like to judge.

Textbook example of how not to run a BBQ contest. I doubt if this one gets off the ground.

Back